Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet modifications after Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign
I do not have Robinson at hand here but the structure can be described as follows:

The lower line of the eyebrow is more or less flat whereas the upper line swings upwards then downwards and then upwards again (in contrast to most other helmets the eyebrow then takes a final additional downward turn).

In the roughly oval space created by the upward and downward swing of the upper part of the eyebrow (i.e. exactly where you would expect the eye) there is a raised area of lenticular, i.e. eye-like shape. In the middle of that area there is a rivet (apparently iron, not bronze) which forms the iris of the eye.

I hope this makes sense. If you can provide me with an email address I can send you the scans.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Messages In This Thread
Re: Helmet modifications after Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign - by Jens Horstkotte - 09-06-2007, 08:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 468 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  Need help Identifying helmet on a relief depicting Trajan Corvus 0 217 09-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Roman Equipment Modifications in the Desert Renicus Ferrarius 14 4,285 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe