Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig
My friend who had the Gallic D helmet made by Brian Stobbs can answer Pierpaolo's question since he knows Brian Stobbs better than I do. Here it is:

I believe that it depends on the helmet. Some of his helmets are made from one piece. :wink:

Even Michael Simkins makes his helmets out of 2 parts Confusedhock: yet many people crave to have a helmet from him.

Some of Simkins work as well as Stobbs' is in museums. That is not to say that their work is necessarily the ultimate but it is highly regarded if you consider that they have been doing this for more than 20 years. Confusedhock:

Nonethless, what real difference does it make if in the end the final product looks and functions like the original. Unless you go around telling people that the helmet is made from multiple parts. If asked an explanation can be given which is that Mr. Stobbs does not have a forge and if he did, his helmets would still be just as good.

Also I believe that everyone agrees that the Gallic F made for you is very good, the issue is the eyebrows not the construction. The eyebrows on my helmet are not added after, they are beaten out and as most would agree on this forum they do look like the originals on the photo.

Furthermore, if a helmet is made from one piece however, and it does not do the original justice what is the use.

Thus the following must be implied. "I have a Gallic G made exactly like the original one in the musuem but it does not look like it". :?

Of course this does not necessarily apply to your helmet but it does address your comment.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - by Doc - 07-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Erik Koenigs New Helmets - by Bocchus - 07-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Re: Erik Koenigs New Helmets - by Tarbicus - 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new Gallic helmet! LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 16 3,720 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Lucius Petilius Remo
  Later Roman knife by Erik Konig Peroni 8 3,496 12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  New Roman Reublican items from Erik Konig Mark Headlee 8 2,927 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar