RomanArmyTalk
New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig (/showthread.php?tid=9897)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Mark Headlee - 07-14-2007

What to you all think of this latest offering from the Konigs?

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - munazio planco - 07-16-2007

avete omnes

this is the helm that erik did for me,an gallic F.is really a masterpiece.in my opinion konig is the best.

valete

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Marcus Mummius - 07-16-2007

Quote:avete omnes

this is the helm that erik did for me,an gallic F.is really a masterpiece.in my opinion konig is the best.

valete

Could you perhaps post a picture of it being worn? I've never seen Erik's 1st century helmets on a real head...

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Peroni - 07-16-2007

I wonder why Erik placed crest attachments on both the sides and fromnt and rear of this one?!

It's a hybrid combination of the Sisak and Besancon bowl.

Personally I think it's a lovely helmet but the eyebrows look a little poorly executed. None of the Gallic F examples I know of (and there are quite a few) have eyebrows like this.

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - munazio planco - 07-16-2007

avete omnes

I asked to Erik to put ring near the ears because i have attach on this helm a head of lion.the helm was made on measure and I have very small head,so if the bowl is small is for this reason.the eyebrows are different from the original but this i tink depend from the form of the bowl and the tikness of the iron.

valete

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Peroni - 07-16-2007

It's still a beautiful helmet! Big Grin

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Pertinax - 07-17-2007

Are those ear guards slightly thin or just the position of the pic????

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Peroni - 07-17-2007

Thin?

Do you mean narrow?

No. The Besancon Gallic F are like this. (and made of iron not brass)

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Crispvs - 07-17-2007

Many surviving ear guards are somewhat smaller than many reconstructions.

Crispvs

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Pertinax - 07-19-2007

Yeh narrow. Only reason I ask is that it seems on a few sites that the ear guards should be more pronounced and I was under the impression this should be the case seeing as it would be more practical than getting you lobes sliced off and taken as a souven'ear' (sorry couldnt resist) Big Grin

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Luca - 07-19-2007

Peroni said:

Quote:Personally I think it's a lovely helmet but the eyebrows look a little poorly executed. None of the Gallic F examples I know of (and there are quite a few) have eyebrows like this.

I agree. I have seen it live and I had the same bad impression, too bad for so many bucks.

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - munazio planco - 07-21-2007

I am not agree especially if you tink that this helm is forged by hand..really forged by hand not like some other helm that have the eyebrows after soldered or after stamp(and often the producer said that is forged)

in my opinion(is only my opinion)the helmets of Konig and not only the helmets but all his productions are really masterpiece.is not possible to compare whit nobody.I had a lot of helms in my hand in rader 10 years of activity like reenactor but the first time that I had in my hand a real roman helm was when I recived this gallic f from Konig.

valete Omnes

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Doc - 07-21-2007

PierPaolo,

I agree that the helmet is beautiful and that things produced by hand will not be perfect. Big Grin

However, a friend of mine had the Gallic D helmet made by Brian Stobbs (it is in reconstruction and reenactment under "New Gallic D Reconstruction). The eyebrows on that have four ridges not three and of all the Gallic helmets from A to I (I know there are more) it is by far the most complex.

Yet the eyebrows were beaten out of the bowl not added later. Still they look like the actual photos of the Gallic D.

Thus it is possible to make something nearly exact by hand.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Paolo

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - munazio planco - 07-21-2007

avete omnes

sorry but i know(but maeby i remember not good)that Stobbs make his helmets in few part not only one plate of iron.but maeby I remember not good

Re: New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig - Mark Headlee - 07-21-2007

Ave,

From my conversations with Ira Konig, many of the items we see on their on-line catalog are "prototypes" of first production items. When Erik makes the helmets ( as with the Guttmann I have on order with them) he will send you a pic of your helmet for the buyers approval and critique. So the helmet is just a representative piece of what he can make....not the "cookie-cutter" model of every helmet the Konigs can make...