Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Known specimens of lorica plumata
I am aware of the difficulties of using a proper name for this type of hybrid armour. Although the term plumata was used in Roman times it is indeed not entirely certain to what type of armour it refers to.

Robinson speculates and in the end gives the reader two options:
1) To scale armour with a medial ridge (that thus looked like feathers) (1975: 156).
2) To the hybrid form of armour that mixed scale with mail (1975: 173).

Quote:The Romans never used this term to refer to the mail and scales construction.

This seems to me quite a drastic conclusion and I am curious if there is any bibliographical reference to back this up. We simply don´t know what exactly was meant with the name plumata.

Quote:They seem to have used the term "plumata" to describe any scale armour in which each scale had a vertical medial ridge. The backing is irrelevant.

I agree that this is the most likely use for the word plumata (based solely on its meaning and the corresponding appearance of such armour). But if the Leiden piece was called lorica hamata by Stuart and the backing was irrelevant, is this then still an appropriate name? I never meant to imply that the name used by Stuart was erroneous, just wanted to point out how it was referred to in case somebody wanted to look it up and could not find any plumata mentioned in this source.

Greetings,

Martijn

Messages In This Thread
armour - by Vlad the Impala - 07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
armour - by Vlad the Impala - 07-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Re: Known specimens of lorica plumata - by martijn.wijnhoven - 07-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Plumata Article by Erik Schmid Doc 49 12,788 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  What does a Lorica laminata weigh? Question on the Plumata Steakslim 6 4,864 12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Any evidence for a Lorica Plumata Manica? jkaler48 3 1,879 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Last Post: jkaler48