Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
Salve Jef,
Actually the blade in the pic is no state fair winner yet. Still a little more shaping.

How long it takes is totally dependent on ones skills, familiarity with the work and OHHHhh yes what kind of tools one has. Also depends on the hardness and thickness of the steel.

If one has a half decent angle grinder, belt sander, Heavy duty bench grinder it can be done comfortably in a few days.

If one can obtain the higher grit belts for a stationary sanding machine, say 300-400-600 grit, the entire polishing process becomes somewhat streamlined. The highest I have found here is only 120.

I personally have zipola right now tool wise since my bargain angle grinder caught on fire near the end of stock reduction. had to continue on with files and emery paper. Hopefully I will very soon find another bargain dealy I can blow up. My belt sanding mech isn't powerful enough for stock reduction but cool for clean ups and first stage polishing. I am probably going to just go out and find the best single phase motor I can and build my own.

I am trying to do this so it doesn't cost others twice the national deficit just to make a blade. Hope this helps

Thank you very much Jef

Best Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti

Messages In This Thread
mantra - by Caius Fabius - 05-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Re: Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius - by Titus Publius Saturninus - 06-03-2007, 11:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,608 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,762 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,406 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer