Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
Cousin Dave,
I would say negatory re anything else between the steel and timber. The purpose of the scabbard is not only to wear the sword but protect it as well and the wood does that job beautifully provided it is completely finished and smoothed inside. If you plan to clean and oil the blade frequently you might wanna carve a little (non traditional) catch pocket in the bottom of the scabbard tip to retain any dirt or excess oil. This keeps it off the blade. Japanese thing really.

I couldn't imagine carving oak all day long but i guess that is what they used. for general over all scabbard making I would recommend seasoned poplar or ash but everyone has their own formula for what works for them. I love the wonderful, lustrous, tight grained easy to work dark grains of native NZ timbers so use a lot of Rimu, Kauri, macrocarpa and when I can get it Puhutakawa. I use jarrah to make very tough rudius

Here is but one of the many sites on Maori bone carving but not the high caliber stuff this is only a commercial trinket site will find more and get back.

http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/bones/

PAX ET BONUM!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti

Messages In This Thread
Re: Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius - by Titus Publius Saturninus - 05-27-2007, 02:18 AM
mantra - by Caius Fabius - 05-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,643 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,773 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,415 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer