Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quintus Sertorius Festus
I am trying to figure out logically what type of lorica Sertorius Festus is wearing. I would like to have a go somewhat at copying this tombstone. Confusedhock: I know that it is difficult to ascertain detail from the tombstone and I know that Robinson mentions that it may be plumata because of the ribs in the scales. However, the scales seem too large to be plumata although this may just be the artists rendition.

Initially I thought squamata since the image of Sertorius suggests that his cuirass is quite fitted (again the artists interpretation :?: ) This lead me to think about ribbed squamata.

Have there been any squamta scales that show the same ribbing as a plumata. I personally have not seen any but I may be wrong :?:

I know that the ribbing is not only for the feather look but also for strengthening the scale. This would be true for plumata since the scales are small and thus so are their thicknesses. The rib would introduce more strength along with the overlapping layers.

Squamata scales are larger by comparison and are probably thicker and may not require ribs :?:

Sertorius being a centurion could have had a horse. Would't the low scallops of his armor cause difficulty with getting on a horse if they were made of chainmail. :?:

Squamata would be more flexible in this case facilitating mounting :?:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Any opinion by Dr. Bishop would also be greatly appreciated

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Quintus Sertorius Festus - by Doc - 02-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Re: Quintus Sertorius Festus - by Crispvs - 02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Quintis Sertorius Festus - by Doc - 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Re: Quintus Sertorius Festus - by Crispvs - 02-12-2007, 01:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalerae of Quintus Sertorius Festus Jeffrey Hildebrandt 6 5,825 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Sertorius Festus Tombstone "sleeves" Doc 11 2,737 02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Erik D. Schmid