Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalerae of Quintus Sertorius Festus
My most recently completed project is a set of silver phalerae based on the funerary stele of Quintus Sertorius Festus. I made them using the traditional technique of repoussé over pitch. Care was taken to ensure that the phalerae were as deep as the Lauersfort phalerae, which are more-or-less full relief. The motifs are based on extant phalerae (like those from Lauersfort) and other contemporary sources, with some help in interpretation given by the late Brian Stobbs (PhilusEstilius on RAT), who I would like to acknowledge.

Each phalera is based with a brass plate with protruding eyes, for attachment to a harness.

[Image: 24662031761_6cf30ce000_c.jpg]
[Image: 24729322726_3f7f103bdb_c.jpg]
[Image: 24387869719_8e31290d80_c.jpg]

For more photos, including close-ups of the individual phalerae, feel free to visit my Facebook or Flickr pages.
Top quality. Laudes.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I think Brian would have liked those Smile

Excellent work - do you do cavalry phalerae?!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello,

Those must be the most exquisite set of traditionally made phalerae that I have ever seen. Over the years, there have been many phalerae reproduced that I have seen. To this day, I have never seen a set of equal quality.....anywhere. Other reproductions are cast or the repousee and chasing has been mediocre.

Keep up the work Jeff........your work is top quality and the best out there.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
(02-02-2016, 07:50 PM)Vindex Wrote: I think Brian would have liked those Smile

Excellent work - do you do cavalry phalerae?!

Thanks, Vindex. I have yet to make cavalry phalerae, but I would love to!
Excellent craftsmanship, chapeau! What gauge silver sheet did you use?
(02-03-2016, 05:04 AM)Jeffrey Hildebrandt Wrote: Thanks, Vindex. I have yet to make cavalry phalerae, but I would love to!

Perhaps we need to talk!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sertorius Festus Tombstone "sleeves" Doc 11 2,689 02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Erik D. Schmid
  Quintus Sertorius Festus Doc 3 2,092 02-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crispvs