Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julian and the invasion of Persia
One wonders just how Julian organized those sailors 'on the ground'? Were they spread out to fill up units that were low in strength, or organized into 500 man cohorts of light infantry? Perhaps 1000 man units of line infantry? We'll never know.

I must check my copy of the ND to see what evidence there is for a Euphrates fleet. I suspect very little, I get the impression fleets were built 'when required' which is fair enough. But what about the personnel? The sailors? You cannot conjure sailors up out of thin air for campaign, then drop them once it is over. Presumably many of the sailors would be regulars, garrisoned at a fort on the Euphrates somewhere. Were they members of the limitanei, infantry units that acted as marines? When no ships were needed for a military campaign, they could continue with infantry patrolling.

Presumably the bulk of Julian's fleet were civilian transports comandeered for the expedition (along with their civillian crews).

Quote:Right! Those Goths (also called Germani, if I recall)!

BTW, what do you guys think about the bunch of sailors of the HUGE Iulianus' fleet? I'd think they were used as infantry after the burning of the ships...

And stating the crews of the different ships varied according to their purpose, how many could they be? And so, did the 65.000 men of the Iulianus' army in Persia include those sailors too?

Valete,
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Messages In This Thread
Julian and the invasion of Persia - by Mithras - 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Julian & His Persian Campaign - by Jon Eaton - 01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Matthews on world of Ammianus - by Goffredo - 02-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Careful with Hoffmann - by Natuspardo - 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Re: Careful with Hoffmann - by Robert Vermaat - 02-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Re: Careful with Hoffmann - by Robert Vermaat - 02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Dont forget the Goths!!! - by Natuspardo - 02-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Re: Julian and the invasion of Persia - by Mithras - 02-17-2007, 10:35 PM