Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohort of British Auxiliaries on Hadrian\'s Wall
Hello Mark

I was wondering if the British unit on Hadrian's Wall that you meant was actually Cohors I Cornoviorum raised from the Cornovii in the midlands. The Notitia Dignitatum places them at Newcastle. So undoubtedly by then they wore very short sleeved black and white striped tunics! Big Grin ( A joke for British readers only).

They appear to have been the only unit raised from a single British tribe. As to their clothing that would depend on period but if you ever see the Auxiliary figure at Housesteads museum that is probably near enough for what you want. I would go with a red brown colour for tunic long sleeved or short and yellow brown for the Sagum type cloak. You could wear Vindolanda type enclosed fell boots and probably brown wool bracae.

There are no representations of archers in long flowing robes other than on Trajan,s Column. Again in a British context you have the Hamian archer sculpture from Housesteads which shows him dressed as a regular auxiliary with short tunic and cloak. The only thing you would have to decide upon is to what his helmet looks like. It looks conical but the details are very worn on the original sculpture.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Auxilia - by Graham Sumner - 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Tunics etc... - by Graham Sumner - 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Dyes - by Graham Sumner - 01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Re: Dyes - by Magnus - 01-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Green - by Graham Sumner - 01-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Re: Cohort of British Auxiliaries on Hadrian\'s Wall - by S AUFIDIUS - 01-26-2007, 10:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilia - Tungrian on Hadrian\'s Wall Paul Elliott 19 5,666 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall ParthianBow 52 13,592 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hadrian\'s Wall Charity Walk Tony Riches 9 2,504 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: chrisanson