Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd-4th c roman shoes (Cuijk campagi images)
Something like these shoes:

[Image: vechten2004augustus7.jpg]

Guy on the right:

[Image: eindhoven2008_24.jpg]

Which may be two pictures of the same person/boots in different costume, I'm not sure.

Basically, though, I'm a member of a boffer combat sport (fast paced, hard hitting, no LARPy magic crap) that doesn't require any actual historical authenticity, but I take pride in my garb and equipment and like to make it as good as possible even if most of the other people around me aren't.

What I need are a pair of boots that I can use as cold/wet weather footwear to replace my old Air Force combat boots, which I currently use. I'd really like to be as authentic as possible, but the bottom line is that I need footwear that will keep the rain and the muck and the cold out to a reasonable extent. They can be high topped, low topped (as long as they're at least roughly as high as the calcei or caligae, high ankle), whatever, I'm not picky about that. Don't even necessarily need to be a native Roman design. I might have picked up a pair of native boots campaigning somewhere.

I just don't think the calcei from the Florentivs site fit that bill, although I'm considering making a pair to replace my caligae as summer wear, which are wearing out and not early 5th-century appropriate anyway.
Oisín Leathshúileach
Ben Mudd
LÃ¥ech
Fianna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world

Messages In This Thread
Re: 3rd-4th c roman shoes (Cuijk campagi images) - by Oisin - 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM