Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ?
Quote:Do you mean with "elaborated" that the Germans had weapons of lesser quality than Roman troops as stated in the Bello Gallica.
Yes, I read somewhere, that Germans weapons were of so poor quality (the material, NOT the craftmanship) that sometimes during battle they did bend. But I may be wrong on this.
Quote:You don't need pots and other domestic material when you are fighting. You only take what you really need, why weigh yourself down with things you don't need.
I basically agree on this, but do you think that at any time the Germans had a lack of weapons? Given that you said on the quality of German weapons, I would even more doubt that weaponry was their main interest while looting. My "problem" is here further that the civilian stuff has gotten so far, provided Kalkriese is one of the endpoints of the Varian battle.
Quote:Is there written evidence that the Roman forces were attacked on the march? Why then the ramparts remains and ditches, or were these made by Germans for ambushing Roman troops?
The easier thing would surely have been to take them on march, but after reading closer about Caecinas battle of pontes longi, I think the Germans would have been able to overrun Varus weakend army in camp as well.
On the rampart, I have read on the Osnabruck university-site http://www.geschichte.uni-osnabrueck.de ... bung4.html that it is clearly not a make-shift field fortification but German.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Spiegel et al - by raeticus - 11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Bones at Kalkriese - by Caius Cornelius Cethegus - 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Newbie error - by Caius Cornelius Cethegus - 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Re: Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ? - by Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 04-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kbor Klib - A site for the battle of Zama Michael Collins 2 555 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Help wanted: breakdown of battle find by type (e.g. Kalkriese) MonsGraupius 9 4,547 12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Kalkriese the Battle of the Angrivarii Wall ? Tom 21 6,945 03-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Simplex