Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ?
Ah Tiberius, you got there before me! I think if such material was in evidence several years later then Arminius didn't make off with it all. I have no doubt that we could come up with all kinds of explanations as to why such precious little equipment has been found. The Germans making off with it, the Romans recovering it, peasants making off with it over time etc.

As I said, there are other ancient battle fields where little has also been found too, but take the likes of Gergovia and Alesia, the finds there are quite extensive and a similar number of men were probably involved, although the death toll is said to have been less.

I'm not saying that Kalkriese is, or is not the site of the battle. I do, based on the lack of similar finds anywhere else nearby, agree that it's probably the site of the battle, I'm not even remotely qualified to make such a statement, but we must also accept that much of the evidence is circumstantial, that's why this argument exists in the first place. I do not however, accept that there is any single piece of evidence or argument that can categorically identify Kalkriese as the battle site, and until such exists this wonderful debate will continue.

I would strongly recommend people to go to the site and see it and the museum for themselves. One of the things that did really disappoint me was how little has been done with the park. There are a few posters around various parts of the site and some rather bizzar buildings. There's probably good reason for this but it went over my head at the time
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Spiegel et al - by raeticus - 11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Bones at Kalkriese - by Caius Cornelius Cethegus - 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Newbie error - by Caius Cornelius Cethegus - 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Re: Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ? - by Nerva - 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kbor Klib - A site for the battle of Zama Michael Collins 2 504 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Help wanted: breakdown of battle find by type (e.g. Kalkriese) MonsGraupius 9 4,429 12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Kalkriese the Battle of the Angrivarii Wall ? Tom 21 6,891 03-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Simplex