Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ?
Quote:This can easily be explained in this case as there was a large civilian baggage train, but the quantity of these items is so large in comparison to those of a strictly military nature.
That's bothering me, too. If one assumes that Kalkriese is the point there last remnants of Varus column were finished, the opposite would be more reasonable to me. Didn't they destroy all baggage (likely most of the civilian stuff) not neccesary in the first camp?
I think the last a soldier will throw away is his weapons and so the the disproportion suggests to me that the Roman force (whoever was) fighting in Kalkriese took their weapons with them after being hard pressed but lastly were able to escape (at least from Kalkriese site), but losing most of non-military gear and having buried many of the money-bags.

EDIT:
The cease of findings behind a certain point after the Kalkriese force had been divided mustn't mean they were wiped out but they weren't pursued any longer and lost no big things anymore. On the official site of the archaelogists they state that the high density of "modern" iron material in the ground doesn't allow metall detectors to be adjusted successfully on detecting iron. http://www.geschichte.uni-osnabrueck.de ... bung2.html So their gear is adjusted on detecting non-ferrous metal only.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Spiegel et al - by raeticus - 11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Bones at Kalkriese - by Caius Cornelius Cethegus - 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Newbie error - by Caius Cornelius Cethegus - 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Re: Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ? - by Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kbor Klib - A site for the battle of Zama Michael Collins 2 555 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Help wanted: breakdown of battle find by type (e.g. Kalkriese) MonsGraupius 9 4,547 12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Kalkriese the Battle of the Angrivarii Wall ? Tom 21 6,945 03-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Simplex