Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Conference Nijmegen 2007
Hi Deb,
We'd be honored to have American guests. We (Satsobek and me) just booked a flight to the US for december and concluded that the earlier you book, the better rate you get.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Oh way cool!! Where are you going and when are you going to be there?

Flights in the US are kinda weird. They are high right now but fares after Labor Day (1st Monday in September) will drop, esp. for non-peak seasons like November. Airlines will start to run specials to fill up flights. Right now they are at $733 but I've seen them under $500 in the Fall. I might be able to use air miles as well. Gotta use them some time!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
We're visiting Christy's parents in Ohio for Christmas. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Just to re-affirm that Myself and my wife will definatley be attending this year.
Salvete Organisatores!

I would like to book my train tickets pretty soon in order to get the best rates possible. Hence I would like to know what are the plans for Sunday? How long are you planning to hold the lectures? Would there be any activities afterwards as a visit to a museum or mutual lunch? This information is very crucial to me in order to decide whether to leave on Sunday afternoon or on Monday morning because my train ride would be rather long.

Gratias tibi ago for a swift reply.

Valete optime,
I would like to remind the organizers of the conference to kindly reply to my question posed in my previous post. I would to buy the tickets at the end of this week therefore an answer soon would be highly appreciated. :x
Ok. This is the list I made up of people who said they would certainly partake and those who would like to / may take part.

Certain:
Jasper Oorthuys (L)
Jona Lendering® (L?)
Jurjen Draaisma
Robert Vermaat (L)
Svenja Grosser ® (L)
Christian Koepfer ® (L)
Paul Geddes ®
Jeroen Pelgrom ®
Adrian Wink (RR)
Paul Browne ®
Sebastiaan Berntsen
Rob Wolters
Robert Wimmers
Susanna Rühling ® (L)
Wim van Broekhoven
Jim Bowers ®

Possible
Henk-Jan Vrielink
Jef Pinceel
Carlton Bach
Deb Fuller

(L) is for lectures, ® for hotel rooms.

Is this still correct? I'm guessing Jona and me will probably fill up some time with a lecture as well. Any others?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Put me down as well. At least, that's the plan....
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jasper,

Now that were closer to the date I'll ask my comilitones. I think we will come with a small group.

I'll post here when I know the number.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
We'll need pretty firm commitments very soon if we want to book the hotel.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
We'll go for a bed and breakfast solution probably. So I take it we have to sort that out ourselves?

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Well, we can help you there, but yeah.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Aha that would be great as we don't know any places to sleep in Nijmegen. We'll probably end up sleeping under a bridge. But that wouldn't be unusual Smile

I think about 5-10 people of Legio XI CPF will come but I will try to give you names as soon as possible.

Any suggestions for cheap establishments? Perhaps Jona knows a nice brothel where we can sleep :lol:

Does the congress start on friday? And how late?

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Aha that would be great as we don't know any places to sleep in Nijmegen. We'll probably end up sleeping under a bridge. But that wouldn't be unusual Smile
Actually, I think many of us will find the bridge at Nijmegen quite interesting: it was one of the main Allied targets during Market Garden (a.k.a. Battle of Arnhem). The bridge was saved due to the heroism of one man only, Jan van Hoof, who cut away the electricity cables to the mine that the Germans had put inside the bridge. After this, the 82nd Airborne Division was able to take the bridge.

Van Hoof did not survive the fights near Nijmegen. There's a small monument for him on the bridge.

This photo shows Nijmegen after the war: the city is destroyed, but the bridge is safe.
[Image: Market-Garden_-_Nijmegen_and_the_bridge.jpg]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
put me down for a room as well - driving from Rotterdam to Nijmegen is quite a bit i realized.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.