Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Encyclopedia of the Roman Army
Quote:(Proposals that authors should pay the few thousand dollars that it costs to edit, format, and distribute a journal article, because obviously everyone who publishes scholarly articles has an employer who will refund their publishing costs, face the same problem).
Which brings us to the institutions who want the kudos/brownie points for publishing from their members to get the ratings, use the ratings to bring in the students, charge the students for an education, but don't see that funding that publication properly is every bit as important as the money they spend on HR, flower beds, or heating.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Has this been published now? Amazon have copies available, used and new which suggests it has!

If so has any contributor received their free copy?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Well, according to Amazon, it's not due to come out until the 20th February. Yet someone is offering it for £1000+ secondhand. That, when the price new is due to be £299. Where do these ridiculous prices (the £1000 one) come from and is anyone mug enough to pay them? Personally, I think that I will wait until I can get it for 1p plus postage!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
It seems to have been published now as I was able to order to my local Amazon locker and they do not usually allow this unless the item is already actually in stock - the confirmation promises that it should appear by Friday. They now have a mere 11 left with "(more on the way)" !
Of course the contributors have not been informed. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Of course the contributors have not been informed. Sad
Touching that you expected a big publisher to treat you in any other way :-)

Mike Bishop

Hi

I did email Wiley and they replied that the book will be published in March and contributors notified.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
So, it's not yet published but someone is offering it secondhand for a thousand quid. Nice work, if you can get away with it!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:I did email Wiley and they replied that the book will be published in March and contributors notified.
... and not February as had been heavily hinted (Amazon take their dates directly from publishers, they don't make them up); thus one word would seem to sum up this whole project: slippage ;-)

Mike Bishop

It is definitely out - I am sitting looking at a copy of it right now!
Quote:It is definitely out - I am sitting looking at a copy of it right now!
Confirmed by one of the editors who also received his copy last week. It seems the contributors will be notified later... :whistle:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/18-referenc...-army.html
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I too am mystified as to how books that are due to be released, or which have only just been released can be advertised as 2nd hand, often with a higher value than that it's RRP is!

My own book came out last Tuesday and on that day two 3rd party sellers were advertising second hand copies on Amazon, how? I have learnt that if the book is printed in the UK it might take a month or more to reach the USA and in that case american buyers may want to snap up a second hand UK copy so as to have it before its released wehre they live.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I've just received a mail from a Spanish bookshoop, and it's already available for 373,50 €.

List of Entries: Actium ♦
Administration: Late Antiquity • Administration: Principate- Administration: Republic • Adrianople ♦ Aerial Photography
♦ Africa ♦ African Auxiliaries ♦ agens, agentes in rebus ♦ Agricola • Alamanni: Late Empire • Alamanni: Principate ♦ Alani: Late Empire ♦ Alani: Principate ♦ Albano • Alésia • Allies: Late Empire • Allies: Principate ♦ Allies: Republic • Altrip * Ambush: Late Empire • Ambush: Principate * Ambush: Republic ♦ Amida ♦ Amphibious Warfare * Antonine Wall * Arabia
* Arabs ♦ Arch of Constantine * Arch of Orange ♦ Archers, sagittarii: Late Empire ♦ Archers, sagittarii: Principate ♦ Archers, sagittarii: Republic ♦ Armament of the Enemies ♦ Armenia: Late Empire * Armenia: Principate ♦ Armenia: Republic ♦ Army as a total institution ♦ Army Constructions: Late Empire * Army Constructions: Principate ♦ Augustus's Army * Augustus's Wars ♦ Avars ♦ Axes ♦ bagaudae ♦ Baggage Train: Late Empire ♦ Baggage Train: Principate ♦ Baggage Train: Republic ♦ Bandit: Late Empire ♦ Bandit: Principate ♦ Barbarization ♦ Barracks * Batavi: Late Empire ♦ Batavi: Principate ♦ Bathhouse • Battle in Open Country: Late Empire ♦ Battle in Open Country: Principate ♦ Battle in Open Country: Republic •
Battle in Town: Late Empire •

Battle in Town: Principate ♦ Battle in Town: Republic ♦ bellum iustum ♦ Belt, cingulum ♦ Biological and Chemical Warfare ♦ Black Sea
♦ Body Armor ♦ bona castrensia ♦ Bonn * Booty: Late Empire • Booty: Principate ♦ Booty: Republic
♦ Bostra ♦ Boudican Revolt
♦ Bow • Brigetio Tablet ♦ Britain: Late Empire ♦ Britain: Principate ♦ Britons: Principate
♦ bucelarii, buccellarii ♦ Caerleon • Caesar ♦
Camels ♦ Camp ♦ Camp Security: Late Empire ♦ Camp Security: Principate ♦ Camp Security: Republic * campus
♦ Cannae • Cappadocia • Caracalla • Carausius • Careers: Late Empire ♦
Careers: Principate • Careers: Republic ♦ Carnuntum ♦ Catapult ♦ Caucasian Countries ♦ Cavalry: Late Empire ♦ Cavalry: Principate
♦ Cavalry: Republic ♦ Celts: Late Empire * Celts:
Principate ♦ Celts: Republic ♦ Cemetery: Military ♦ Ceremonies, Military: Late Empire ♦ Ceremonies,
Military: Principate ♦ Ceremonies, Military: Republic
♦ Christians: Late Empire ♦ Christians: Principate ♦ Cisalpine Gauls ♦ Civil or Civilian Settlements ♦ Civil Wars: Late Empire ♦ Civil Wars: Principate • Civil Wars: Republic ♦ Civilians: Late Empire ♦ Civilians: Principate

* Civilians: Republic *
Claudius * Clothes ♦
Cohorts of vigiles ♦ Colchester
* Colleges, Military * Column of Marcus Aurelius ♦ comes, comites: Late Empire ♦ comes, comites: Republic and Principate ♦ comitatenses • Constantine I ♦
Constantinople: The Defences
* Constantius II ♦ corvus • Counter-Insurgency: Late Empire ♦ Counter-Insurgency: Principate ♦ Counter- Insurgency: Republic • Dacian Wars * Dagger * Danubian Provinces ♦ Danubian Soldiers
* Death in Battle: Late Empire
* Death in Battle: Principate ♦ Death in Battle: Republic • Decisive battle ♦ deditio • Defenses ♦ Defensive, Offensive Wars, Strategies of: Late Empire ♦ Defensive, Offensive Wars, Strategies of: Principate ♦ Defensive, Offensive Wars, Strategies of: Republic * Demography and Army: Late Empire ♦ Demography and Army: Principate ♦ Demography and Army: Republic ♦ Depictions, Military ♦ desertor, proditor, and transfuga: Late Empire • desertor, proditor, and transfuga: Principate ♦ desertor, proditor, and transfuga: Republic ♦ Deutz, Divida ♦ Diet ♦ Diocletian • Dionysias ♦ Diplomacy: Late Empire ♦ Diplomacy:
Principate ♦ Diplomacy: Republic ♦ Discharge, missio

♦ Discipline: Late Empire ♦ Discipline: Principate ♦ Discipline: Republic * Diseases
♦ domestici ♦ do nativa and liberalitates: Late Empire ♦ do nativa and liberalitates: Principate ♦ ducatus ♦ Dura- Europos • Eastern Auxiliaries: Late Empire • Eastern Auxiliaries: Principate ♦
Eastern Auxiliaries: Republic Empire • Economic Warfare: Late Empire ♦ Economic Warfare: Principate ♦
Economic Warfare: Republic • Economy and the Army: Late Empire ♦ Economy and the Army: Principate ♦ Economy and the Army: Republic * Edessa ♦ Egypt ♦ Eleous ♦ Engineering Works ♦
Epigraphy: Late Empire ♦ Epigraphy: Principate • Equids
♦ Equine Equipment • equites singulares Augusti * Ethics • Etruscans, Army of the • excubitor: Late Empire
♦ fabrica ♦ Face of Battle for Civilians ♦ Face of Battle for Soldiers ♦ Field Officers: Late Empire * Field Officers: Principate ♦ Field Officers: Republic ♦ Flavians and the Army * foederati * Fortified Farm ♦ fossa ♦ Franks: Late Empire ♦ Franks: Principate ♦ Gaetuli ♦ Gallic War ♦ Gaiiienus ♦ General: Late Empire ♦ General: Principate
♦ General: Republic * gentiles ♦ Germans: Late Empire ♦ Germans: Principate
♦ Germans: Republic ♦

Germany ♦ glandes ♦ Glory
♦ Gloucester • Goths: Late Empire • Goths: Principate ♦ Greeks ♦ Guerilla Warfare: Late Empire ♦ Guerilla Warfare: Principate ♦ Guerilla Warfare: Republic * Hadrian and the Army ♦ Hadrian's Wall
♦ Haltern ♦ Hannibal ♦ Headquarters * Helmet ♦ Heraclius ♦ Hispani: Principate
♦ Hispani: Republic ♦ Historians: Late Empire ♦ Historians: Principate ♦ Historians: Republic •
Honorary Titles ♦ Hospital, valetudinarium • hospi tali tas - Huns • Iatrus • Iberian Peninsula ♦ Iberians as Enemies ♦ Iberians: Republic
♦ impera tor: Late Empire ♦ imperator: Principate ♦
Imperial Cult: Late Empire • Imperial Cult: Principate ♦ Imperialism • Imperium ♦ Implements • Inchtuthill • Infantry: Late Empire • Infantry: Principate ♦
Infantry: Republic ♦ Instruments of vigiles ♦ Intelligence: Late Empire ♦ Intelligence: Principate ♦ Intelligence: Republic ♦ Irish
♦ Isaurians * Italians as Enemies of Rome: Republic ♦ Italians in the Roman Army: Republic * Italians: Late Empire • Italians: Principate
♦ Italy • ius belli • ius militare, Military Law ♦ Jewish Wars: Principate • Jewish Wars: Republic ♦ Judaea ♦ Jugurthine War ♦ Julian • 
Justice, Military ♦ Justinian ♦ Kalkriese ♦ Khusro I ♦
Khusro II ♦ laeti • Lámbese
• Landing ♦ Languages: Late Empire ♦ Languages: Principate ♦ Latin People as Enemies ♦ Law Codes ♦ Lejjun ♦ limes • limitanei ♦ Literacy: Late Empire *
Literacy: Principate ♦ Literacy: Republic ♦ litus Saxon ¡cum ♦ Local Militias: Late Empire ♦ Local Militias: Principate ♦ Logistics: Late Empire ♦ Logistics: Principate ♦
Logistics: Republic ♦ Luxor ♦ Lyon (Lugudunum), Battle of ♦ Macedonian Wars ♦
Marcomani ♦ Marcomanic Wars ♦ Marcus Aurelius ♦ Marius ♦ Marriage ♦ Masada
♦ Mauretania ♦ Maximinus Thrax ♦ Medical Service: Late Empire • Medical Service: Principate ♦ Mercenaries: Late Empire • Mercenaries:
Republic ♦ Mesopotamia ♦ miles: Late Empire ♦ miles-. Principate * miles-. Republic ♦ Military Footwear ♦ Military History, Roman Modern • Military Life: Late Empire * Military Life: Principate ♦ Military Life: Republic ♦
mi I id a e equestres ♦ Mi re beau
* Moors, Mauri: Late Empire * Moors, Mauri: Principate ♦ Morale: Late Empire ♦ Morale: Principate ♦ Morale: Republic
♦ Music: Late Empire •
Music: Principate ♦ Music: Republic ♦ Naval Base ♦

Navy ♦ Nero ♦ Neuss ♦ Nijmegen ♦ Non-
Commissioned Officers, NCO: Late Empire ♦ Non- Commissioned Officers, NCO: Principate ♦ Non-
Commissioned Officers, NCO: Republic • Notitia Dignitatum ♦ Novae ♦ Numantia ♦ Numidae: Principate ♦
Numidae: Republic ♦ Numismatics: Late Empire ♦ Numismatics: Principate ♦ Numismatics: Republic ♦
Oath: Late Empire ♦ Oath: Principate ♦ Oath: Republic ♦
Oberaden ♦ Order of March:
Late Empire ♦ Order of March: Principate ♦ Order of March: Republic ♦ ordo ♦ Origins of the Roman Army • ostraka ♦ Palaestina, Syria Palaestina ♦ palatini • Palmyra • Papyrology, Papyrus: Late Empire ♦ Papyrology,
Papyrus: Principate * Parade, decursio: Late Empire *
Parade, decursio-. Principate ♦ Parade, decursio-. Republic ♦ Parthian Wars: Principate ♦ Parthian Wars: Republic » patria: Late Empire * patria: Principate • pax romana: Principate ♦ pax romana: Republic ♦ Pay and Incomes: Late Empire ♦ Pay and Incomes: Principate ♦ Pay and Incomes: Republic ♦ Persian Wars: Late Empire ♦ Persian Wars: Principate ♦ Picti ♦ pilum ♦ Piracy: Late Empire ♦ Piracy: Principate ♦ Piracy:

Republic ♦ plumbatae •
Police, Policing: Late Empire * Police, Policing: Principate ♦ Politics: Late Empire •
Politics: Principate * Politics: Republic ♦ postliminium ♦ Praetorian Cohorts ♦ Prisoner: Late Empire * Prisoner: Principate * Prisoner: Republic
♦ probado: Late Empire ♦ probado: Principate ♦ probado: Republic ♦ procurator • Psychological Warfare ♦ Punic Wars ♦ Pyrrhus ♦ Qasr Bchir ♦
Quadi: Late Empire ♦ Quadi: Principate ♦ Quarries ♦ Ravenna ♦ Recruitment, Organization: Late Empire ♦ Recruitment, Organization: Principate ♦ Recruitment, Organization: Republic • Recruitment, Social and Geographical Aspects: Late Empire ♦ Recruitment, Social and Geographical Aspects: Principate * Recruitment,
Social and Geographical Aspects: Republic ♦ Religions: Late Empire ♦ Religions: Principate ♦ Religions:
Republic ♦ Rewards: Late Empire ♦ Rewards: Principate
♦ Rewards: Republic ♦ Road Fortification ♦ Rome ♦ Saaiburg ♦ Samnites ♦ Sardinia ♦ Sarmatae: Late Empire ♦ Sarmatae: Principate
♦ Saxons • scholae paladnae
♦ Sei pi o, African us I ♦ scuta rii
♦ Scythae: Late Empire ♦ Scythae: Principate ♦ Sea

Battle: Late Empire ♦ Sea Battle: Republic ♦ Seapower: Late Empire ♦ Seapower: Principate ♦ Seapower: Republic ♦ Senatorial Provinces ♦ Senior Officers: Late Empire ♦ Senior Officers: Principate ♦ Senior Officers: Republic ♦ Septimius Severus
♦ Servile Wars ♦ Severus Alexander ♦ Shapur I ♦ Shapur II ♦ Shield ♦ Siege Warfare: Late Empire * Siege Warfare: Principate ♦ Siege Warfare: Republic ♦ Signal, Signaling * Small War: Late Empire ♦ Small War:
Principate ♦ Small War: Republic * Social War ♦ Society and the Roman Army: Late Empire ♦ Society and the Roman Army: Principate ♦ Society and the Roman Army: Republic • Spear ♦ Speech, adlocudo: Late Empire ♦
Speech, adlocudo: Principate ♦ Speech, adlocudo: Republic ♦ Split ♦ Stables ♦ Stamps ♦ Standards • Stanegate, Vindolanda • stado, stadonarii: Late Empire • stado, stadonarii: Principate • Stiiicho
♦ Strasbourg, Argentorate: Late Empire • strata Diocledana ♦ Stratagem: Late Empire ♦ Stratagem: Principate ♦ Stratagem: Republic ♦
Strategy: Late Empire ♦ Strategy: Principate ♦
Strategy: Republic ♦ Suicid ♦ Suiia, Sylla * Sword, gladius ♦ Syria • Syrian Wars ♦

Tacfarinas ♦ Tactics: Late Empire ♦ Tactics: Principate ♦ Tactics: Republic ♦ testamentum ♦ Theodosius I
♦ Tiberius ♦ Training: Late Empire ♦ Training: Principate
♦ Training: Republic ♦ Trajan
♦ Trajan's Column ♦
Transfers: Late Empire * Transfers: Principate ♦
Transfers: Republic ♦ Transmission of Orders: Late Empire ♦ Transmission of Orders: Principate ♦
Transmission of Orders: Republic
♦ tribu I i ♦ Triumph: Principate
♦ Triumph: Republic • Trophy
♦ Units in the Notitia Dignitatum
♦ Units: Principate ♦ Units: Republic • Urban Cohorts • Valens • Valentinian I • Vandals ♦ Veterans: Late Empire • Veterans: Principate
♦ Veterans: Republic ♦ vexillado ♦ viri militares * Waldgirmes ♦ War Cry ♦ War Machines ♦ Wars against Mithridates ♦ Wars of the 3rd century CE ♦ Wars of the First Republican Period, 509-201 BCE
♦ Wars of the Late Empire ♦ Wars of the Late Republic, 133- 31 BCE * Wars of the Middle Republic, 201-133 BCE ♦ Wars of the Principate • Warship ♦ Water • Windisch, Vindonissa
♦ Women ♦ Wounds • Writers: Late Empire * Writers: Principate ♦ Writers: Republic
♦ York, Eboracum.
Eduardo Vázquez
I haven't seen anybody reviewing the 'The Encyclopedia of Roman army' by Yann Le Bohec. It's pretty dear on the pocket at $460 on Amazon.

Does anyone own a copy and have any thoughts on it?
Vlad Augustus
hey Vlad

seems that it will not enter my library too early, at the premium price would be a nice o have, I do have other books of prof. Le Bohec and I have to say they are interesting. Will have to see if I can find it in a library but doubtless I will be able to read it in 2 weeks

BTW esti roman cumva?

Cheers
Gelu
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Encyclopedia of the Roman Army caiusbeerquitius 1 1,032 02-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Illustrated Encyclopedia Uniforms of Roman World JeffF 2 1,359 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Last Post: AMELIANVS