Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax again
It's an established fact that rats are extremely fecund creatures...
Quote:It's an established fact that rats are extremely fecund creatures...

LOL. Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Duncan, They were kind enough to send the book out with an invoice to pay! (very rare to find this level of trust these days) unfortunately the information they supplied was not detailed enough for our banks to put money in their account so im in contact trying to get more details.

the cost of the book was 20 euros. (quite cheap I thought) and postage to Australia was 14 euros.

Trying to pay money into their account from Australia is going to cost another $ 35 Au (ouch!) So i asked them if i could just put 34 euros in an envelope and post it back!! (I'll take the risk)

Jason
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
This is maybe the wrong place to ask this, but it does have to do with the linothorax. also, the Marketplace section of RAT mostly deals with Roman gear. After 10 pages of posts, some of which I admit to skiping, I am going to ask this: Deepeeka makes one. Has anyone actually seen one of these? If they really exist, how bad are they?

Aside from this where does one get a linothorx if you have no inclination to make one. You can't read as much as has been posted here without wanting one...

It started like this... I got the last Albion black Corinthian crest. Now I need a Corinthian to go with it. And a shield. And a sword. I can rob my Samnite panoply for greaves, but will have to get a replacment set, of course... So now I have to get a linothorax. Since I have a crest.

Related: Does anyone know anything about the Argos brestplate deepeeka makes, also? might be fun doing a pre-Persian war impression.

The Art Dept. is letting me buld an iron Phillip's (?) "linothorax" for my "shop methods" semester project. Does anyone know how the abdominal plates articulate?

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
who is indebted to Hoplite14gr for the expression MOLON LAVE.
Gaius Decius Aquilius

The Deepeeka Linothorax is horrible, The only way you will be able to buy a Linothorax is to commission a very good seamstress to make one for you, as far as im concerned there are no good examples for sale anywhere.

Regards philips iron Cuirass the articulations are a series of tube hinges similar to the hinges on the lorica segmentata (just longer and less ornate) Google the net for philip's armour (armor) and you will find enough images to go with.

Good Luck and have fun

ps. one of the best suppliers of ancient greek gear is 'manning imperial' based in Sydney Australia.

Jason
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Hi, Ralph,

I've seen the Deepeeka linothorax and it was pretty poor. However, I have heard of someone using it more-or-less as a base to make a proper one, with good results.

The blokes in the Hoplite Association will accept commissions. I don't know what they charge.

The Argos ("Bell") Cuirasses I've seen are very square and boxy-looking. There may be a new one out soon.

You do realise that you could come to the First International Ancient Greek Festival in Samnite kit, don't you? It's a contemporary culture, you see. I think a lot of people would be interested in that. And you could shop for Hoplite stuff while you're here....

Re the Vergina Cuirass, Manolis Andronicos wrote in his book, "Vergina",

"As one might imagine, the cuirass is made up in sections, hinged together by means of small tubular projections on either side of the parts to be joined, through which passed a separate pin. The body of the cuirass is made up of four plates, one covering the chest, one on either side and one over the back...." So, there is one sheet covering from the throat to the waist, hinged to the right side-plate and thonged to the left.
Gioi can probably send you the pictures!

Hope this helps.

Paul
Update:

I've just checked Deepeeka's site and they have two models; one "Alexandrer the Great" and one "Greek Hoplite". Both have problems, I think the "Hoplite" one is better. See them at <www.Deepeeka.com>
From what I can see, the "Alexander the Great Linen Cuirass" AH6125 is a lot better looking than the "Greek Armor Scaled" AH3987B, in terms of the shape of the shoulder flaps and the front panel. But yeah, neither is an award-winner... No idea what they're made out of, either, though I'd be very surprised if any real linen was involved.

The Deepeeka bell cuirass (the Argos cuirass) that I saw years ago was enormous, not good at all. Sure, it will go on your body, but your arms won't be able to move because the chest is too wide, and you won't be able to bend because it goes down to your crotch or farther. I would avoid it.

Sorry, I really wish they had done better on these!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote: The Deepeeka bell cuirass (the Argos cuirass) that I saw years ago was enormous, not good at all. Sure, it will go on your body, but your arms won't be able to move because the chest is too wide, and you won't be able to bend because it goes down to your crotch or farther. I would avoid it.

Sorry, I really wish they had done better on these!

Matthew

Matthew,
I know they made a steel one, and then a bronze version. I have weightlifter type build, (because I used to lift weights), and although I need to go back again and tone up, I have a 44"chest and a 38" waist.
I wear XL T-shirts. Is this still too small? One of my orignal concerns is they would make it too small. I ordered a Japaese armour last year. The Japanese company had to make the Do larger than normal and charged me extra. (This is OT, but for thse of you who do kenjitsu or kendo. Try it wearing sode, kote, kabuto, and the whole enchalada. It is a real learning expierience.)

Matt, I appreciate your input on the Argos, and it makes me question trying to order one, but if it might fit, given what I told you... Decisions... Decisions...

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Quote: The Argos ("Bell") Cuirasses I've seen are very square and boxy-looking. There may be a new one out soon.

You do realise that you could come to the First International Ancient Greek Festival in Samnite kit, don't you? It's a contemporary culture, you see. I think a lot of people would be interested in that. And you could shop for Hoplite stuff while you're here....

Paul

Paul, Thanks for the response. Have you seen an Argos? Given what Matthew said, and my above post, boxy I can live with and even alter, but the size, I dunno...

I would love to come to the Greek Festival, but, as per a PM I sent you some months back, I don't fly. I flew Dust-off my second tour in Viet-Nam. I fall into the "one third of combat air crews who do not fly post hostilities" statistic. Also, out of curosity, how on earth are people going to get their gear through an international flight? I would think it almost worth the comotion to gear up with Corinthian, linothorax, hoplon and all, and go to the airport and say "I wanna a ticket to England" !

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Ralph,

I apologise for having forgotten what you'd told me. It seems to me we'll be needing an International Ancient Greek Festival in the States in order to form Phalanx with you!

And, of course, we'll be needing one in Greece, Australia.... :lol:

I haven't been able to get a close look at the Argos cuirass, so I can't tell you how it might fit someone built like you. I'll have a look at the next Market (17th-19th March), if they have one there. The Muscle Cuirass ought to fit you, and there should be one on display, or are you more interested in representing the earlier period?
Manning Impeial Bell Cuirass seems to fit to some one of build constitution? hmmm! :|

BTW: I hear you are a little handy, making one yourself it will do a better job, anyway Manning do custom made stuff, so they can made one of your size :wink: 1,330 AUS is like $9,85 US, plus shippment etc, its not bad.

But for an Earlier helmet you would need to find a blacksmith for the new job, since there is not any reproduced yet.

Greets.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... 938230.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... 13main.jpg

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Comerus,

The pics are cool, and it does seem Manning is the way to go. I shall contact them forthwith.

I tried to zoom in on the Deepeeka Argos. Its fuzzy but it seems to have hinges on the sides and sholders that look like their segmentata hinges.

This is swinging OT from the Lonothorax so I am going to start another thead on pre-Persian equipment. I hope you all will contribute.

Gaius Decius Aquilis
Nice pictures, as ever, Gioi. Manning's stuff is really classy - I just can't afford it. I found a site called Hellenic Arts where they have a mixture of stuff. Some is Deepeeka, but they also have some really wonderful pieces in bronze, including what they describe as a Thespian helmet - something like $480 or £270 - too rich for my blood. Matt Amt is right, this is an expensive period! I could fund my Festival on what just five Hoplites might spend on kit!
Unfortunately, I'd stay away from Hellenic Arts, too. Many of their helmets are cast and weigh 5 to 10 times as much as they should. Not to mention the spray-paint "patina" look... Better to get something custom-made.

One of the problems with Deepeeka cuirasses is the width across the chest, between the arms. If you stand with your arms straight out in front of you, you'll see that the space between them is surprisingly narrow, even on big guys. Bad cuirasses are often as wide as the chest when standing with arms relaxed at your sides, which means that you won't be able to move them very much! Arm openings are supposed to be large, chest widths are supposed to be small.

The length is also important--it is very common to make a cuirass too long. It should not go all the way to your hips or waist, but should end about the level of your bottom ribs. That way you'll be able to bend freely. The pteruges on a linothorax end above the crotch!

I think you can trust Manning to do very nice work. He certainly has more experience with Greek stuff than anyone else I know.

Khaire,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/