Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress
nonetheless a very nice impression.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Love the scabbard!

I find that brass sheet with a thickness between 1mm and 1,5mm is thick enough to make good palmettes in one piece. Lots of annealing and lots of hammering. I followed the guidance Matt Lukes offered me too Smile

This is the first palmette I made:

[Image: gladius50.jpg]
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jeff,

That is a really nice sword. Did Matt Lukes make that? Is the motif the one from the Valkoff museum?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Love the scabbard!

I find that brass sheet with a thickness between 1mm and 1,5mm is thick enough to make good palmettes in one piece. Lots of annealing and lots of hammering. I followed the guidance Matt Lukes offered me too Smile

This is the first palmette I made:

[Image: gladius50.jpg]

Hey that's great Jef, really nice work - I ended up following Matt's advice and made a second palmette from brass that Matt shipped to me from Canada (difficult to source in Dubai).

Next job - replace the handle on the sword with something a little more authentic.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Next job - replace the handle on the sword with something a little more authentic.

What's the material of the handle? Wood or horn?

I think wooden handles did exist, there are one or two in the Vindonissa catalogue of Military finds I believe.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Nice work, both of you!

Where was the picture taken Sulla? the sun was shining... :o

I.m surprised brass is hard to find out there, you always associate the middle east with brass work... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Jeff,

I aplogize for re-asking, but is that the scabbard from the Valkoff museum and did Matt Lukes make it.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Jeff,

I aplogize for re-asking, but is that the scabbard from the Valkoff museum and did Matt Lukes make it.

Missed that question.

Not it's not from the Valkhof museum. The locket was found at Vindonissa.

The locket, chape and handle of the gladius where indeed made by Matt Lukes.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Excellent sword Confusedhock: :o D D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Excellent sword Jeff.

Thanks

Paolo
Quote:
sulla felix:23dzcv0x Wrote:Next job - replace the handle on the sword with something a little more authentic.

What's the material of the handle? Wood or horn?

I think wooden handles did exist, there are one or two in the Vindonissa catalogue of Military finds I believe.

The current handle is wood, but a little too "flat" in profile for my liking. I am carving something similar to the one in your picture Jef - progress photos will follow in a few days!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Nice work, both of you!

Where was the picture taken Sulla? the sun was shining... :o

I.m surprised brass is hard to find out there, you always associate the middle east with brass work... :?

Dover Byron - you remember we had about half an hour when it did not rain Big Grin

Virtually all the brass work you see in the Middle East comes from either India or Iran already formed into naff tourist tat. Finding sheet metal is hard unless I am prepared to purchase half a boat load!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Excellent sword Confusedhock: :o D D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Thanks Brennivs - long time no speak!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Better late than never! I finally got around to fitting a more authentic handguard, grip and pommel (carved and shaped by myself). Maybe another coat of oil or two and the whole project is finished!

[Image: HandleRe-fit.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Nice one!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,739 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,240 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,564 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert