Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. National Legion?!
What I'd like to know is why Marsh isn't sharing his beer.

Legion: TBD
Quote:What I'd like to know is why Marsh isn't sharing his beer.
[size=150:700g0v0t]I[/size]f you were here, I would... but you can get real Budvar, while I have to make do w/ Czechvar.... ;-) )
M.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Was there Roman Beer?
Was it made with Garum?
Mmmm. Good.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:Was there Roman Beer?
Was it made with Garum?

Julianus Augustus wrote it smelled of billygoats Smile That's probably the next best thing to garum
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Well the lack of barbarians could be solved by all the Romans getting a barbarain kit, which is cheap as dirt. All you need is a tunic (and not even that if the weather is warm), trousers, shield, spear and some kind of footwear.
Tiberius Claudius Vindex
Coh I Nerv
aka Chris Goshey

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html">http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html
Quote:Well the lack of barbarians could be solved by all the Romans getting a barbarain kit, which is cheap as dirt. All you need is a tunic (and not even that if the weather is warm), trousers, shield, spear and some kind of footwear.
[size=150:3rrol6u5]I[/size] am going to make some kind of website about this to help them get going and am hoping we can add something to RAT, the other Mods are calling it the "Enemies of Rome" area. Hope it pans out...

If anyone wishes to help w/ the Enemies of Rome website, please let me know.
Best, DMV

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
A lack of auxiliary units, and others?

COH I NERV, and other small groups all over the U.S., not to mention the late roman TERRA INCOGNITO, and several other different time periods. there is not as much a lack of diversity as one may think, there are also many trajanic reenactors, and some hadrianic- marcus aurelius people.
aka., John Shook
The National Legion already exists and invites individuals, conturburnia of eight or more legionariaries, and centuries comprised of two or more united contuburnia. International groups and individual are also welcome.
It is based on the success of the "squad-mess" system of autentic Civl War reenactment, whereupon "squads" of relatively generic Civil War soldiers "join" larger companies and battalions dictated by elements such as the abilities of the commander, realistic camps, activities, and other incentives. These messes and squads are free to join whichever "company" they feel will provide them with the most rewarding reenactment experience. The Roman contuburnia is remarkably similar to the Civil War squad-mess and the successes of this hobby can be applied to the Roman one.

There is no Legion "commander". The highest rank in the legion is centurion. There may be up to 60 centurions in the first formed legion, but no individul can attain this rank until he can muster two full contuburnia of legionaries at a "national" event. "Honorary" senior commanders such as Legates, Tribunes etc. may be appointed as required, but have no real command status.

The most senior centurion at a given event is the one who can bring the largest number of troops under his signa. He may do this by variety of means, just as the generals of the late Roman Republic. The "Senior" centurion is still a somewhat honorific title in as much as every bonafide member has the same "vote" in the political aspects of the organization.

The selected time period for reenactment scenearios will be the middle year of the 1st century AD, (Claudian to Flavian), since reenactors of this period far-outnumber the Roman reenactors of every other period. This does not exclude period "units" but for the purposes of the "tactical", must make an effort to conform to the event period. This can even be accomplished by playing the role of a "barbarian" unit. Special scenarios based on other Roman time periods may also be conducted if enough interest is expressed within the organization.

The national legion will represent the legion in which we have the most historical data to form a reasonably authentic impression. This can only be LEGIO XIIII Gemina Martia Victrix for the following reasons:

1. This appears to be the only legion in which of the 1st century in which the shield emblem can be determined. Shields with this emblem are already mass-marketed and available throughout the world (Deepeeka), though self-made shields that conform to basic authenticity standards are permitted.

2. The costume and Signa of two legionary signifiers of this legion are known through grave stele, and can be accurately replicated.

3. The costume and Aquila of the legionary aquilifier are known thorugh grave stele, and can be accurately replicated.

4. Legio XIIII GMV was stationed for long periods at Mainz, where a vast wealth of contemporary Roman military equipment has been excavated, which in liklihood may have been used by Legio XIIII. These items include Imp gallic D, G, I, imperial Italic D, Auxilliary B, Gutmann Pompeii Gladius, several Mainz swords, several daggers, etc. No other 1st century legion can autheticate even a small percent of the items found in the garrision location of their unit.

5.Geographically, much of the United States is similar to the Regions of Britain, Germany and Pannonia where Legio XIIII was predeominately stationed during the represented 1st century period.

6. By and large, most potential "barbarian foes" recruited into the tacticals will be interested in portraying Germannic or Celtic types
rather than more Eastern enemies, and therefore are the autentic, appropriate enemies of LEG XIIII.

7. World wide, there are already more reenactors that depict LEG XIIII than any other Roman group.

Combat simulations will be conducted by means of the NFS system, rules, standards of equipment construction, and safety requirements to be determined and published soon. NFS combat is not mandatory. People choosing not to participate in combat are not penalized but are accepted to support the "tactical" in some noncombative activities contributing to the good of the event.

There is no mandatory "tunic color". Members involved in weekend-long living history situations may determine the practicality of certain tunic colors thorugh this form of practical research. Individual century commanders

Auxilliary units have the same rights, priveledges and rank structure of legionary units. Thus, an Auxilliary centuriaon could theoretically be the senior centurion at an event if he can muster the most men under his standard.

"Barbarian" units must also have reasonable sized units to justify unit commanders, standards, etc. Equivalent to the Roman conturburnia is the barbarian "clan". Any Barbarian leader who can amass two full "clans" (16 warriors), is authorized to be a "Chieftain" with his own standard and musician.

Onced this is rolling, I believe there is the potential to recruit hundreds of Barbarians from the ranks of the tens of thousands of fantasy LARPs, many of which will already have appropriate basic costumes, and familar with the lightweight fighting weapons of their hobby. The SCA is also a potential recruiting ground. Understand tht a typical Barbarian can equip himself for under fifty dollars. This is why LARP is so popular to begin with.

The whole point of the "National Legion" is to engage true reenactment with realistic appering numbers of partipants to give a true feeling of ancient combat. Secondly it is to muster realistic numbers of men for drills and demos at static display types events. Member centuries of the National Legion are welcome to engage in the usual display activities such as Nativity and Easter displays, "Timeline" displays, wargaming and sci-fi conventions, etc.

A system of historical/authentic awards and decorations will be established, and will be "earned" in both the Roman and Barbarian elements of the hobby.

Non "National Legion" Roman and Barbarian units may be invited to "National" events if they are willing to "play the game", and maintain approved sized units. For the "right" to have their own Centurion uniform and carry their own distinctive units, these units must also have a minimum of two, eight man conturbnia/clans under their command.

Due to the danger of site shut-offs as experienced by Magnus, this ends part I, more to follow.

Dan
Quote:The National Legion already exists and invites individuals, conturburnia of eight or more legionariaries, and centuries comprised of two or more united contuburnia. International groups and individual are also welcome.
[size=150:jqdmter8]R[/size]eally? Where? Besides in people's heads, where does it exist Dan? Some of your ideas have real merits -- others do not. And no, I am not attacking you... I am spending about 45 minutes to reply to your post.

Quote:It is based on the success of the "squad-mess" system of autentic Civl War reenactment, whereupon "squads" of relatively generic Civil War soldiers "join" larger companies and battalions dictated by elements such as the abilities of the commander, realistic camps, activities, and other incentives. These messes and squads are free to join whichever "company" they feel will provide them with the most rewarding reenactment experience. The Roman contuburnia is remarkably similar to the Civil War squad-mess and the successes of this hobby can be applied to the Roman one.
Let us dispense w/ comparing this hobby to Silly War, there's too many differences. I know you like the things they do, some of it is neat, some of it is not going to be possible to implement. Also, Silly War is no where NEAR as solid and authentic as you suggest. It's NOT! Some are, some are not. Dan, if you wish to have basic building blocks of a Nat. Legion? Realise first, that this is a hobby... people do what they want and what interests them. In this, you have to "LEAD" them, not try and make them go... ever try herding cats? Same principal. Leaders lead... what do YOU have that they want?

Quote:There is no Legion "commander". The highest rank in the legion is centurion. There may be up to 60 centurions in the first formed legion, but no individul can attain this rank until he can muster two full contuburnia of legionaries at a "national" event. "Honorary" senior commanders such as Legates, Tribunes etc. may be appointed as required, but have no real command status.

The most senior centurion at a given event is the one who can bring the largest number of troops under his signa. He may do this by variety of means, just as the generals of the late Roman Republic. The "Senior" centurion is still a somewhat honorific title in as much as every bonafide member has the same "vote" in the political aspects of the organization.
Again, we come to the "herding cats" analogy... most of us do not wish to be in charge and for that matter, most of us despise occifer types. Instead of worrying about the chiefs, you need to get some injuns. And once again, it comes down to What can YOU give them? Do you look out for their needs first? Do you make the event fun and interesting for them to attend? Time is in real short supply in this day and age -- to do this kind of thing, one has to be willing to give up time w/ one's family, to spend a lot of money, to take time off from one's job and career... why will they want to do this?

Quote:The selected time period for reenactment scenearios will be the middle year of the 1st century AD, (Claudian to Flavian), since reenactors of this period far-outnumber the Roman reenactors of every other period. This does not exclude period "units" but for the purposes of the "tactical", must make an effort to conform to the event period. This can even be accomplished by playing the role of a "barbarian" unit. Special scenarios based on other Roman time periods may also be conducted if enough interest is expressed within the organization.
While in many respects, this is a bit logical, it is patently unfair to all the Late Roman types and even those who do Trajanic or later time periods... Perhaps it should be set later? Or earlier. Or not at all. I think that you need to learn to crawl before you try and run.

Quote:The national legion will represent the legion in which we have the most historical data to form a reasonably authentic impression. This can only be LEGIO XIIII Gemina Martia Victrix for the following reasons:
AHA!!! What if everyone does not share your beliefs in this. And while you do have a strong argument for this, it ain't water tight. Also, what of all the different groups in this country and this continent? Don't you think they will be just a little distressed, nay pissed off to give up their work, their pride at what they've built, they're identity? This sounds like the "Borg," what if we do not WISH to be assimilated into Leg. XIIII???

Quote:1. This appears to be the only legion in which of the 1st century in which the shield emblem can be determined. Shields with this emblem are already mass-marketed and available throughout the world (Deepeeka), though self-made shields that conform to basic authenticity standards are permitted.
It's a shield. You have what, TWO examples on statuary? What if this was just a pattern the guy who cut it had? Who knows... and anyway, most people simply do not give two silver pennies about this.

Quote:2. The costume and Signa of two legionary signifiers of this legion are known through grave stele, and can be accurately replicated.
And...

Quote:3. The costume and Aquila of the legionary aquilifier are known thorugh grave stele, and can be accurately replicated.
Most of us are not going to be them.

Quote:4. Legio XIIII GMV was stationed for long periods at Mainz, where a vast wealth of contemporary Roman military equipment has been excavated, which in liklihood may have been used by Legio XIIII. These items include Imp gallic D, G, I, imperial Italic D, Auxilliary B, Gutmann Pompeii Gladius, several Mainz swords, several daggers, etc. No other 1st century legion can autheticate even a small percent of the items found in the garrision location of their unit.
A good point, but I bet there are still people who might disagree.

Quote:5.Geographically, much of the United States is similar to the Regions of Britain, Germany and Pannonia where Legio XIIII was predeominately stationed during the represented 1st century period.
So... why not pick another British unit, such as... say Leg. XX as the standard?

Quote:6. By and large, most potential "barbarian foes" recruited into the tacticals will be interested in portraying Germannic or Celtic types
rather than more Eastern enemies, and therefore are the autentic, appropriate enemies of LEG XIIII.
More likely they want to be British Celtic typs, not Germanic... sorry, but that one just don't hold water Dan.

Quote:7. World wide, there are already more reenactors that depict LEG XIIII than any other Roman group.
We are not "worldwide" -- we are Americans, whether we are US Americans, South Americans or North Americans (they call themselves "Canadians," but we know they're really Americans that drink more beer than us... (a joke -- this is getting too serious))

Quote:Combat simulations will be conducted by means of the NFS system, rules, standards of equipment construction, and safety requirements to be determined and published soon. NFS combat is not mandatory. People choosing not to participate in combat are not penalized but are accepted to support the "tactical" in some noncombative activities contributing to the good of the event.
To make it happen, you have to do it. Vaporware don't fly. Pie in the sky don't fly. Build it and they might come, if it's fun. If it's realistic, IF it has something to give them... BUILD IT!

Quote:There is no mandatory "tunic color". Members involved in weekend-long living history situations may determine the practicality of certain tunic colors thorugh this form of practical research. Individual century commanders
This is good logical. Lead, don't force people, let them learn what works...

Quote:Auxilliary units have the same rights, priveledges and rank structure of legionary units. Thus, an Auxilliary centuriaon could theoretically be the senior centurion at an event if he can muster the most men under his standard.
Crawl first -- run and fly later!

Quote:"Barbarian" units must also have reasonable sized units to justify unit commanders, standards, etc. Equivalent to the Roman conturburnia is the barbarian "clan". Any Barbarian leader who can amass two full "clans" (16 warriors), is authorized to be a "Chieftain" with his own standard and musician.
Might work, but we need to get them rolling first. RAT will be rolling out a new area for the "Enemies of Rome" June 1st... I will have some kind of web page to help them get outfitted soon too. THEY are the key for this to work. And people that do this impression are even less likely to deal w/ a bunch of non-sensical rules telling them what to do. Provide the sandbox and keep them from getting hurt, don't tell them what to make w/ the sand!

Quote:Once this is rolling, I believe there is the potential to recruit hundreds of Barbarians from the ranks of the tens of thousands of fantasy LARPs, many of which will already have appropriate basic costumes, and familar with the lightweight fighting weapons of their hobby. The SCA is also a potential recruiting ground. Understand tht a typical Barbarian can equip himself for under fifty dollars. This is why LARP is so popular to begin with.
Wow, I totally agree here. A ready-made group of recruits that will "get it." However, you need to get them here and get them on board. Again BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!

Quote:The whole point of the "National Legion" is to engage true reenactment with realistic appering numbers of partipants to give a true feeling of ancient combat.
I agree... if we are asked and if we have input AND if there's a minimum of BS hobby politics! Thepolitics and the lovers of politics and rules, are the killers of all joy.

Quote:Secondly it is to muster realistic numbers of men for drills and demos at static display types events.

Member centuries of the National Legion are welcome to engage in the usual display activities such as Nativity and Easter displays, "Timeline" displays, wargaming and sci-fi conventions, etc.
How will you do this? "Hmmm, I can go stand around at a Timeline or... go skiing/to Maui/partying... Freedom is the key...

Quote:A system of historical/authentic awards and decorations will be established, and will be "earned" in both the Roman and Barbarian elements of the hobby.
I guess that blows some men's tunica up ([size=75:jqdmter8]to the females delight[/size]), but I'm not really one of them... Did they wear this stuff in combat? Proof? I think it's iffy... however, what do I know... might work.

Quote:Non "National Legion" Roman and Barbarian units may be invited to "National" events if they are willing to "play the game", and maintain approved sized units. For the "right" to have their own Centurion uniform and carry their own distinctive units, these units must also have a minimum of two, eight man conturbnia/clans under their command.
Sounds to hard-assed. Crawl first Dan... MAKE IT FUN, make it realistic, make it a cool experience. Don't try and be legalistic, don't make it unfun -- one HELL of a lot of people have left Silly War because it got "unfun."

Quote:Due to the danger of site shut-offs as experienced by Magnus, this ends part I, more to follow.
Learn to write long-ass posts on your computer's "notepad" program, then paste it into the posting window and do final edits there... better yet, don't write long, meandering posts, that are hard as Hell to reply to. Time is money... Holy crap, I'm done writing on this post... too much work to reply to über-long posts
Mit Besten, Marsh

Quote:The selected time period for reenactment scenearios will be the middle year of the 1st century AD, (Claudian to Flavian), since reenactors of this period far-outnumber the Roman reenactors of every other period. This does not exclude period "units" but for the purposes of the "tactical", must make an effort to conform to the event period.
OK, that excludes all Late Roman from the ‘National Legion’. The guys will be disappointed. Or are you planning a ‘Late Roman NL’ as well?

Quote:Combat simulations will be conducted by means of the NFS system, rules, standards of equipment construction, and safety requirements to be determined and published soon. NFS combat is not mandatory.
People choosing not to participate in combat are not penalized
Penalized??? :x

Quote:There is no mandatory "tunic color".
This is a positive surprise, and I mean that.

Quote:Onced this is rolling, I believe there is the potential to recruit hundreds of Barbarians from the ranks of the tens of thousands of fantasy LARPs, many of which will already have appropriate basic costumes, and familar with the lightweight fighting weapons of their hobby. The SCA is also a potential recruiting ground.
But will any of these recruits be interested in serious drilling, or will they just come for a good piece of whacking?

Quote:The whole point of the "National Legion" is to engage true reenactment with realistic appering numbers of partipants to give a true feeling of ancient combat.
I’m sorry, but this is nonsense.
Your definition of true re-enactment seems to restrict itself to non-display events, such as a good march through the woods w. camping out rough, and a realistic battle display. That’ s all very good, and much fun I think.
But the trekking through the woods, when set up as a realistic march, would involve a lot of equipment that would make it much more expensive and no longer attractive for the recruits that you mentioned above.
The ‘realistic battle’ is of course not realistic at all, but an adaptation of every other re-enactment bashing and whacking, slightly adapted for Roman tactics. Any ‘realistic’ battle would litter the field with dead/wounded, and even limited to ‘safe’ fighting would disallow offensive use of the shield, let alone the correct use of the gladius. Roman swords are unusable for ‘realistic’ fighting, even duelling is out of the question (lack of a cross guard).
So what you’re left with is a lot of fun for all participants and spectators, but nothing like a ‘realistic’ battle.

Quote:Non "National Legion" Roman and Barbarian units may be invited to "National" events if they are willing to "play the game", and maintain approved sized units. For the "right" to have their own Centurion uniform and carry their own distinctive units, these units must also have a minimum of two, eight man conturbnia/clans under their command.
So each group smaller than 16 men is ‘merged with the NL anyway?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Marsh,
first off, you are clearly prejudiced against the largest and most succesful reenactment period ever created, or you wouldn't address it as "Silly War". For the record, this has never been my favorite period. I do not spend a lot of time with it. I am quite happy to be a simple private in a generic mess with my friends, that joins the company and battalion we feel will offer us the most realistic and enjoyable living history experience for that particular event. We then make small modifications to our kit to represent that unit as authentically as possible.

I am trying to base a succesful Roman reenactment system on some similar, highly succesful reenactment system because in real life I am a historian, and this is what historians do. We look at past human activity to determine the best course for the future.

You are exactly right in comparing some reenactors with "cats", who refuse to be "led" by anyone but themselves. The reason why the SCA is so popular is that it is tailor-made for just such people. Everyone is their own "lord". It is a fantasy never-neverland which seldom appeals to historically minded reenactors who realize that real Medieval armies were also composed of lowborn foot soldiers. Even in Civil War reenacting we have the "cats" usually referred to as "farbs". They are guys who want to be a high ranking officer even if they have no soldiers (except maybe their best friend and brother-in-law). These subordinates carry the all-important unit flag which they believe justifies their calling their 3 man gaggle a "Regiment" - (which may seem hauntingly familar to many so-called Roman reenactment "legions" of similar composition. Of course, there is no place for the "cats" on the modern, ultra-authentic Civil War reenactment scene, but they hang around the battles so tourists can take their photographs and everyone is happy.

Understand Marsh, that no other 1st century group can claim with ANY historical proof that they truly represent another legion. Virtually all of them copy finds from locations largely unconnected with their selected unit, and merely fabricate a vexillia announcing they are a particular legion. It is completely pointless. As for believing most people will automatically choose a "British" 1st century scenario and want to represent LEG XX, that's nice, but LEG XIIII distinguished itself in Britain as well, PLUS also did great things on the Continent, giving a much larger base for potential barbarian reenactors. We have almost no excavated material from areas in which LEG XX was stationed, and therefore cannot be as accurate in its reconstruction as we can with LEG XIIII.
Bottom line: if there is ONE legion from most everyone's most favorite Roman period (middle 1st century), that we have a fair amount of evidence that we may reconstruct it with at lease some accuracy , then we should pick that one to do, so if there are only 100 Roman reenactors in the country, lets at least have them represent one or two accurate Roman centuries, legionary and auxilliary. If the particular scenario dictates this should be some other legion besides LWG XIIII, fine, we make a special vexilla for that particular event, but for the overall impression, people are investing their money in reconstructing the one legion in which we know quite a bit about their equipment, shield emblem, standards, etc. than picking a legion number out of a hat, with thier equipment, shield emblem etc a complete fabrication. Is this supposed to be historical reenactment for fantasy? If historical, lets avoid "making things up" as much a possible.

Robert, I personally like the late Roman period too, and in some respects think it will eventually have more potential for true large scale reenactment than the first century. It is far less expensive to obtain a complete kit for a late Roman, and more importantly, will probably appeal more to the potentially much larger reenactor base we must recruit to be the "enemies" (and allies) of the later Roman Empire. Realistically speaking, for every one Roman reenactor, there are probably at least 100 costumed, weapon wielding LARPs who inspired largely by Tolkien's fantasies set their "worlds" in something much akin to the dark ages, and therefore are already close to the Late Roman era. I think there should be a late Roman "branch" to this hobby, and I am actively building a late Roman unit as we speak (the whole reason I developed the late Roman Deepeeka products), but to many reenactors, these "immersion events" are a kind of time machine, where for fleeting moments everything falls into place, and looks "right", and you feel "you are there". People whose only reenactment experience is making a show to gawking tourists may never understand this. The point is, the bubble of authenticity will be burst if someone walks into that perfectly recreated scene who wears equipment 200 years too late. But you have my word, should you ever want to participate in a 1st century immersion event such as Lafe, I will loan you everything you need, and there is already talk of possibly doing late Roman events there too. But it is apples and oranges, and should not be mixed together at living history "immersion" events. It is fine for display events, and at these I bring all of my Roman gear, from the republic to late empire.
Dan

PS I do not know where some of you get these ideas about "me and red tunics". I have stated in published articles over 20 years ago that the Roman army wore many colors and that white was unquestionably the dress tunic worn without armor. I did happen stand up against one very influential though highly flawed article that stated that Roman soldiers ONLY wore white tunics in which the most convincing piece of evidence was not even Roman but Ptolemaic Egyptian!
A couple good ideas Dan, but in the end overall, I don't think this idea will ever fly.

The sheer idea of getting existing units to change over to 14 GMV is just not feasible. I have a hard time seeing units like IX Hispana, XX Valeria Victrix, and even my own XXX VV, after the years of being established under a certain name, and indeed, with our own specific unit colours and emblems. It's too much work and money to re-paint and rebuild standards and scuta. Not to mention the time lost in rooting a specific "name" amongst the public, only to have it change over.

Also, how many people are actually reenacting 14 GMV? How many people are in the ESG? Or II Augusta in the UK? I know Legio XXX in Italy was well over 50 members also. I'm sure the number of Legio XX's around the world also has quite a few members combined.

Secondly the period is an issue. By this time (2005) there is waaay too much variation in unit era to ever have them unite under one. Personally, I'm not giving up my trajanic era goodies just to dodge a few decades. The requirements for this national legion are just to...far fetched to be practical.

Really, when you look at the way things are now...there is enough inter-group coordination and cooperation that we just dont' need a "national" legion. All types of units show up at a given event and things go fairly well. There's always some type of hiccup or two, but nothing that isn't fixable.

I'm finding it very difficult to see an actual requirement for this national legion, even if all the logistics were worked out (highly unlikely)...what would be the point of it?

I think in the end...that it isn't broke, so why fix it?

Legion: TBD
I see some people are wedded to their unit name. I am more than willing to have extra shields made (or bought) to have COH TRES ITALICA (Auxiliaries) becoem whatever auxiliaries were wedded with LEG XIIII. If I sghow up without anyone else, I'll be glad to take my old self as a LEG XIIII miles, or a capisarius, or a scribe, whetever the LEG needs to make a proper impression and whatever it takes to create the mood and moments of "timeslip", While at Lafe, next year, we are hoping to see detachemtns of three or more Legions! LRG II, IX and XIIII should all be there. The more the merrier!

keep on thinking of great ideas.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
The recorded auxillary unit brigaded with Leg XIIII GMV were the Batavians- see http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
The relationship was not without its frictions every now and then....... :roll:
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Onced this is rolling, I believe there is the potential to recruit hundreds of Barbarians from the ranks of the tens of thousands of fantasy LARPs, many of which will already have appropriate basic costumes, and familar with the lightweight fighting weapons of their hobby. The SCA is also a potential recruiting ground. Understand tht a typical Barbarian can equip himself for under fifty dollars. This is why LARP is so popular to begin with.

I'm not so sure about the LARPers. I'm kind of embarresed to admit it that I went to one once, anyway what I saw there would not leave me encouraged. They have almost no real period costume, most of them just wore work boots and sweat pants. They also don't strike me as the type that would really care much for authenticity. They're much better suited to the SCA. Add to that the fact the ones I met were frankly far wierder that most reenactors and would likely drive away the good, dedicated reenactors and it sets itself up for failure.

If you want to get recruits, go to other period events and set up a table and dress in period costume. Bring pictures along to show what we do and explain to them that it doesn't cost as much as people think (this belief dettered me for many years from doing Roman.)

Younger reenactors would be a good pool to recruit Barbarians, since the cost is low and is a good way to get them into the hobby. You could even go to do demonstrations at high schools and colleges to get recruits for this ( I just got 3 recruits today for my WWII outfit from a 1 man event at a local highschool). And frankly I'd much rather have a history buff highschool sophmore than a LARPer who just wants to hit people with a sword as my opponent.

One last thing to add, in my experiance bigger is not always better where reenacting is concerned. My favorite peroid is WWI, and at a typical Great War Association event there are not much over 100 reenactors on the field, yet they come from all over the country to do it, some even come from overseas.
Tiberius Claudius Vindex
Coh I Nerv
aka Chris Goshey

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html">http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "National Roman Legion" jkaler48 144 35,161 09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Buggnkat