Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Lorica segmentata from Caerleon
Moi.

I have it now after looking at the pic' before the xray ones, sorry about that mate.
The interesting thing is that chain and if it is fixed to the larger stud, then where you mention about the upper side of it to show how it looks. It gives the impression that the pin of it may not be cast integral with it, for there is a little mark centre of the stud that may be the pin that holds the bellcap and if also the chain.
Brian Stobbs
The shank of that larger disc stud is of course square as many Roman stud pins were, however what would be nice to know is just how high is that bellcap away from the underside of the disc stud.
I would say just as an estimate around 4 to 5mm to the bottom of the bellcap lower edge, where there would have been room for leather and the chain.
This then becomes just a little difficult to understand for bellcaps are meant to bite into leather to hold the studs on it, so can it be that the chain was on the outside of the leather garment and the bellcap of course on the underside but why a chain and for what use.
Then those smaller studs only look to be about 2 to 3mm dia' heads that are very much the same as on chamfrons such as the Vindolanda and Trimontium types, I do think that these smaller studs were all cast objects for this would be the quicker and easier way to produce them.
Brian Stobbs
Very interesting as usual, Brian.

I am also particularly intersted in the large stud and particularly how the chain is attached.

On first sight of the chain my immediate thought was "curb chain" and I'll be doing a little more digging on that (if you pardon the pun!) So your comment about the chain being on the outside of the leather is very pertinent (to me anyway).

I'll see if I can find out what the length of the squared piece you mention is.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Just bumping this up again in case people have missed it.

Moderators: would it be possible to have the discussion on this peice of equipment (whatever it is) seperated out from the LS - PLEASE...pretty please?

Moi, I have no idea what you are discussing (hence the 'mysterous' title of the new thread), but happy to oblige. If more posts need to go here, plaese inform me which?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thank you Robert

From page seven of the Lorica Segmentata thread to where you've already removed the posts would be great as that's where the new discussion starts.

Perhaps Mystery Armour from Caerleon would be a good title as there isn't sufficient evidence (yet) to call it the Chamfrom from Caerleon :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I wonder if we might be looking at a horse Barding or Peytral along with also a chamfron ???
Brian Stobbs
I'm not seeing any link.
The link has been left behind on the Lorica segmentata from Caerleon it does need also to be transfered for study of it in relation to the new topic subject.
Brian Stobbs
Here it is again to make it easier...

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/blog/
Moi Watson

It's not exactly the same as we have lost the pic's of the chain.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:It's not exactly the same as we have lost the pic's of the chain.

There's a link under the last photo which essentially says click to show more...they're all there.
Moi Watson

I'm sorry about that missed it Moi
Brian Stobbs
OK, I added all posts from the past months to this topic, and removed the redundant ones from yesterday.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:and removed the redundant ones from yesterday.
[strike]Redacted is a good word too[/strike] :grin:

But where has the thread with Lorica Segmentata in the title (and all those links to the brilliant blog) gone, now that – alien-like – the chamfron thingy has emerged grinning from its pulsating body cavity?

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
It has fallen a way back on the listings as the original post was early last year.

I keep track of these things through 'My Topics' and it's here:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...&id=272660
Moi Watson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 645 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,311 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 695 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong