Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
didn't upload all :-|

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.
Sam,

Where is this K&S? Is it on line or all over the US?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hey Doc,
K&S is a company that provides materials for hobbyists. You may order online which is cheepest excluding shipping and you may find at most hobby stores. Usualy expensive though. I got my stuff at my local Ace Hardware store, yes in the US, FL. On this topic I have posted a picture of the selection they have which u may look at. Any questions ask SmileOh and it's world wide Ithink....

Sam!
Samuel J.
Thanks Sam for the info
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Salvete!
Here is my latest work...Been a while since an update, but I'm a buzzzzy person! I would like some advice on my next step. I know I have to make up the terminal knob very soon, and might be the next thing I do! But, Tell me, for the cross brace for the lower chape, it will look like the recreation posted a few comments back? Or should it be a solid piece going all the way round to the back side, covering the stitches? Or the first way, have a separate horizontal back brace that covers the stitches?

Sam

Samuel J.
some more recent updates, small but important.

Samuel J.
Sam I have a drawing of the back of a Pompeii chape but I can not scan it in at the moment Sad but the chape guttering front cross bar and terminal are soldered as one on the back there is a small triangler piece crudley soldered on at the bottom of the chape and there is a small thin bar that goes acrosss the back below the Palmets and is nailed through the band and the gutering which holds the chape on the scabbard like the one below I made some years ago, but is fitted on the back like I have explained above;
[Image: P4090057.jpg]a
The centre piece is seperate, like Crispvs says the side gutering is straight on this type of chape but a minor detail. If I can scan the paper I have I will post the pic Big Grin If you PM me your email I can send you pics of origonals to look at they may be of some help. Kepp up the good work and keep posting great stuff Big Grin
Regards Brennivs
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hey Brennivs,
I appreciate your photo. 8) Some great work, I understand you also made the sword in your pic?
Do you think that the way my cross brace is at the moment is bad? One piece? Now remember, my scabbard is for a Fulham, and is only beginning to resemble a Pompeii as it's evolution from a Mainz. I have a locket plate from those found like Valkenburg and Long Windsor, and I've seen recreations with a Pompeii style chape. I also think that the size of my scabbard is better suited for a less fully developed Pompeii style as it's 2 and 7/8th wide.
I have also seen a recreation with the exact same cross piece on it's chape which actually inspired my work now. I will provide my email for you in a PM, thanks for the help, more is always welcome, :oops:

Sam
Samuel J.
Sam I have had a quick look at my pics and I believe the Long Windsor chape is made the same as bottom one;
[Image: longwindsorchape.jpg]

[Image: t_a596_1_128.jpg]

I will see if I can find any more info, I must admit I have not made this type of chape yet but its construction is straight forward. Will be in touch Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: . Now, is it me or do you also think that the cross brace piece also looks like it's of the same piece as the gutters?! AHH lol, or just soldered :o oh and early this morning I actually made an update which I'm guessing I've forgotten to put here. I used a temporary rivet. If what I was going with is wrong, then I will have to remember there are punched holes in the cross piece holding them together super tight around the scabbard :?

Samuel J.
It is just one piece so if the metal was flat it would look like a "T" in shape, the other side is just a single piece of guttering soldered into the terminal. The ends of the bar are bent across then hailed into the side guttering to secure. Off to sleep now so I will be in touch Big Grin
Reagrds Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I am sure, having a piece like that would surely save SOME hassle, but mine is not :-( IF what I have now, is okay, all I need to know is if I need special rivets or if I can used copper or brass rod.
Sleep well :-P

Sam
Samuel J.
OKay guys, :/ I changed the battle plan :-P Here's gonna be the new piece, now it's either gonna go on top, or under the gutters. And the Romans soldered right? So maybe I could solder it on? Or.... And then I just gotta make a back piece. :-| Simple, maybe in an angle form. So lemme know whatcha think!

Sam

Samuel J.
I personally think when it's on top of the gutters looks better, and also follows most originals.
Samuel J.
here's an update. I haven't had much time recently, as usual, and am not allowed to " waste" too much of my time, so this is the progress. This is opening up the stage to a new era for the scabbard! I haven't polished all of the locket plate as the buffing wheel is a nasty little bugger, and I have polished some important to see area, and areas that'll be harder to properly first time polish when assembled. Note I have "punched" holes for the rivets to follow into and thanks Crispvs, you were right, punching is easier and more exact for diameter than drilling which is a hit or miss Wink I have changed the shape of the hilt, quite drastically, and was exceptionally time consuming with making sure it was symmetrical. Now you wouldn't believe how saddened I am that it's not part bone, and done the proper way, but I still look for acceptance :roll: Confusedad: The tang isn't threaded, ) amateur mistke from a year ago :x but I have reduced enough wood to allow for me to thread it. Just, I can't thread below the wood or else there will be a gape where the metal has been tapered. I will make or fins a suitable pommel that will screw on and cover all steel. Here's some pics, thanks for your support!

Sam

Samuel J.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,685 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert