Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon 2011
So--I know which vase painting the first picture is taken from, Comerus--but why? What are the side studs and the strap "for?"

I note that the Theseus in an early Boeotian 9about 4670BC) shows round studs. Are these covered air vents? Really? Or strap holders? Or what?
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
I'd guess it's for the stripes.But in the striped caps,like number 8 in the above illustration,the tripes don't look functionable.And I don't think they could be pulled down like n.9
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I see in my e-mail this morning that several of the Greek businesses and Ministry of Culture folks are debating the possible dates of the reenactment. that's good--it means they're interested. It's bad--because we won't get totset the date, as I've said all along.

At the moment, there's a growing opinion that the event should be tied to the existing Athenian Marathon (the race) in November. And despite the accuracy of counting issues, there's people saying that the Government of Greece has already decided to celebrate the anniversary in 2010. Bureaucrats hate to change things.

On the other hand, there's dissenting opinions on both subjects. So hold on to your aspis... when there is a date and a site approved by the Municipality, then we'll actually have an event...
I sure hope it works out.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
the numbers of people aquiring hoplite kit is growing in Australia and we are all quietly imagining being there also.

As to the "what I'd like to see" question.
Near Marathon there should be a fleet of ancient ships pulled up on the beach..... That would be excellent....or at least a bi-reme that we could row for an hour here and there. Big Grin

Good luck in this endeavour Big Grin
Richard Robinson
Armidale, NSW
The numbers in Canada are also growing (from 0, at least in Toronto) and we'll be having an immersion event in a month or so to test our new kit by living in it in our imitation of Thrace, which we call "The Adirondacks."
Hey Richard, where exactly do you plan to get a seaworthy bireme?
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Quote:Hey Richard, where exactly do you plan to get a seaworthy bireme?
Ave Caesar
there happens to be at least one in Hellas............it would be brilliant if it was nearby and accessible.
i seem to recall that there are maybe two "Argo" s that would not look out of place (in my humble oppinion). I wonder if anyone knows of any other ancient shipping in the Mediteranean that is seaworthy?? Big Grin
regards
RIchard
Richard wrote:
Quote:there happens to be at least one in Hellas............it would be brilliant if it was nearby and accessible.
...I hope you are not thinking of the reconstructed trireme "Olympias" which is no longer seaworthy, having succumbed, like so many of her Ancestors to the 'teredo' shipworm.......she is now on permanent land display at a naval base in Athens.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
If she is the one you went to sea for then i guess it that is the truth of it. However I did see a recentish doco of someone crafting a new "Argo"(?)
in Hellas recently..

Thanks Scipio,
Regards Richard
The trireme Olympias is indeed in Peiraeus out of sea,and in bad condition. I had heard rumors that they were about to repair it. Last ime it sailed was for the Olympic torch in 2004.
The Argo is newly built and it travels at the moment from town to town around Greece. It'll travel abroad,too. Despite her name "Argo" it really looks identical to Archaic penteconters. It'd be nice if both or one of them were there. There are also a number of trade ships,though i think only one of them was built in Greece. There's one from Turkey and some more constructed in other countries.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Hey guys,
we had our meeting last weekend and discussed the various points that were mentioned earlier before this thread turned towards the equipment questions. Maybe we should divide it so we don't mix up questions regarding the organisation of the event and the equipment all the time. That would make it a lot easier to follow. Wink
So here are our results:
At the moment seven of us are interested in taking part. We think our two Peltasts who missed the camp would also join us, but make it seven for the moment until I have spoken to them. That's of course only under certain circumstances. For many of us it depends heavily on the date. We would favor August. In September at least half of us wouldn't have the opportunity to come because school's starting again or work getting in the way. Also we would need a way to get our gear down there, because we certainly cannot take everything with us on a plane. So that would have to be taken care of. Also of course we would need transportation from the airport to the site and vice-versa. Those are the two points we would greatly appreciate to get help from a sponsor (or any other cheap and safe way). Two of us would be willing to make a Persian impression for the battle display. After all, a Phalanx looks more impressive at the front than from within. Wink
We all would prefer a real camp over only a parade. We think it would be best to make the event on two weekends. The first one something like a "closed training" for us to coordinate and practice and the next weekend would be the public event. We would like to spend the time in between going sightseeing in Greece, but that would mean we need a safe location to store our equipment during the week were not there. We would also prefer a near site that looks authentic over the real battlefield for the battle display.
Neither of us would have problems with a film crew running around.
We would limit the attendance to impressions from 500-400 BC, but including Psiloi and other lightly armed soldiers next to the Hoplites. But besides that there won't be any more help from us regarding an equipment-standard. We think it's really difficult to formulate such a guide, because there are groups who rather have a good-looking piece of equipment, even if it's from wrong materials and there are groups who use only authentic materials, even if it means to do without a certain item. These different views make it really hard to formulate a standard that everyone is satisfied with.
And finally as part of the plan with the national contingents, the Hetairoi want to offer to take on the organisation of the people from Germany and the neighbouring countries. For the moment I will lead the charge for our group here, so if anyone from Germany or near it is also thinking about taking part, please contact me here on RAT or on our group message board.
That's all for the moment.
Perdikkas a.k.a. Thorsten Schillo

http://hetairoi.de
We will try to see what can we push forward after our Nemea appearance.
The question would be to sell the idea to the Prefecture of East Attika where Marathon is located and see if the hotels in the area wish to help.
Kind regards.
Very nice,Perdikkas. Seven(or nine) people from 2-3 years back is an excellent start. I think that we should find a way to make Persians massively. For example some people care to make one or two or more costumes that they won't wear,and offer them to any attendants at the spot. The ewuipment would perhaps only include the persian chiton,which is a long sleeved and ankle long chiton,that is double belted high in the chest so it reaches just over the knee. And pair of "anaxyrides" the persian trousers. Also the tiara i think it's easy to make,and some members from the Hetairoi i think they have already made one.
How do you find this idea?
The some reenactors who truely wish to do Persians,may make some shields and they'll be placed in the front line. This wouln't be inaccurate in fact.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Hey Perdiccas, I'm glad you guys found seven people.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?