RomanArmyTalk
Marathon 2011 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Marathon 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=12782)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Marathon 2011 - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-30-2008

This thread is a continuation of a discussion in the "specifics in Spear fighting combat" thread. The idea was of a reunion of hoplites from around the world in Marathon in 2010,to selebrate the 2500th aniversary of the battle of Marathon.
If there is already an even there every year we may help become an attraction for the re-enactors worldwide. If there is nothing,well,could we create one? Or could we gather over there as many of us as possible,if nothing else to meet each other and do some productive re-enacting and research. As Kineas said,this would be certain to have happened in other period re-enacting.
Khairete
Giannis

mod: I changed the date to 2011 since that seems to be the consensus...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Ceasar Augustus - 05-30-2008

It's a good idea, but I probably can't help. I wish I could, but I'll be either 14 or 15, depending on the time of year. When is this reunion? And where?

Marathon 2010 - Paullus Scipio - 05-30-2008

It's difficult to believe that there wouldn't be a gathering of Hoplites for this occasion ! Confusedhock:
For an occasion like this, Paul Allen will be greatly missed....... Cry Cry

Actually, the only problems are I don't have any gear, and I'm not sure I can convince my parents to let me go to Greece... I mean it's a really long way.

Re: Marathon 2010 - Jona Lendering - 05-30-2008

Quote:This thread is a continuation of a discussion in the "specifics in Spear fighting combat" thread. The idea was of a reunion of hoplites from around the world in Marathon in 2010,to selebrate the 2500th aniversary of the battle of Marathon.
The 2500th anniversary is actually in 2011 (there is no year zero)... :wink:

Re: Marathon 2011 - hoplite14gr - 05-30-2008

We hope to have a productive year.
And we will try to influence the culture Ministry for 2010 because politicians like round numbers.

I guess we must do it the phalanx way:

1. Push, push, push shove till it gives way.
2. In case it still stands reapeat number one :twisted:

LKind regards

Re: Marathon 2011 - Jona Lendering - 05-30-2008

Quote:The 2500th anniversary is actually in 2011 (there is no year zero)... wink:
Quote:politicians like round numbers.
I am pessimistic. Remember Tony Blair and his millennium project, and everybody pointing out that he was one year too early? Here in Holland, two cities have recently celebrated their anniversary in the wrong years - and people just laughed at them making fools of themselves. (The greatest stupidity, by the way, was my own Amsterdam, which simply forgot that it had been the Netherland's capital for two centuries.)

Re: Marathon 2011 - Athena Areias - 05-30-2008

Oh boy, would I like to go to Greece for this! 2010, not possible. 2011, more likely (an extra year to divert grocery money).

But what would "Athena" do? Stand on a nearby hill and emit "godly" rays?

Re: Marathon 2011 - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-30-2008

Haha,In the famous painting of the battle of Marathon in the Poikile Stoa in Athens,I think Athena was there!!!
John,I don't find it likely that your parents will let you come in such a chaotic country as Greece :lol: Unless you convince them come with you :wink: (It still going to be chaotic). Lack of armour is no big deal. I'm sure someone would lend you one for some time.
But dreaming alone is of no good. Lets see what the Mores can achieve. I wonder,would it be better to aim to the ministry of culture or in local authorities? Or maybe BOTH!
Where is Paul Allen...This was a job for him,and already in his plans.
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Marathon 2011 - Kallimachos - 05-30-2008

It's a great idea Giannis and I hoped for it to be honest.
We'll disscuss this in our next camp in june. I speak just for myself today, I will be there if it isn't in September.

maybe giannis... who knows maybe things will settle down by 2010

Re: Marathon 2011 - DanM - 05-30-2008

Quote:Actually, the only problems are I don't have any gear, and I'm not sure I can convince my parents to let me go to Greece... I mean it's a really long way.
Same here. I've been trying to convince my parents to take my family to greece for 9 months. My sister would hate that, or at least she acts like that, and paretns have a lack of interest. They aren't as supportive for my interests in history as they are for Space Exploration. They sent me to Space Camp twice, about how much a trip[ to Greece would cost. But they won't go to greece, but instead Canada or this boring country I live in. Oh well, I'm just going to live there. But I might try to organize an event in chicago for that year. I have a friend whose already probaly willing to. Maybee I could start a hoplite group...

Re: Marathon 2011 - Ceasar Augustus - 05-31-2008

I'd join if it was a bit closer to MA

Re: Marathon 2011 - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-31-2008

Parents usually are not very supposrtive with such things...Mine never were,at least.This shouldn't put you down! They'll always be proud every time you make something beautiful.But don't expect any money for that :lol: After all,re-enacting is a hobby that few understand. We're trying to make them more right?
A big event in Marathon could help in that. Kurt,i think that if re-enactors were coming as groups rather than individuals,we'd gather better numbers. However,if there is going to be an organised event by the state or the local authorities,they could maybe pay for the accomodation,like in other events.I know camping in the sight would be perfect,but there are all sorts of things to consider...Weather,space,equipment. One thing we shouldn't forget is that the surrounding arread,the place where the battle took place,is cultivated. As far as i know there is the dedicted tumulous on the South East of the plain,but there is only some ittle space around it. This space would be enough though,for such sall numbers of re-enactors and spectators...
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Marathon 2011 - Idomeneas - 05-31-2008

what about the persians? :wink: