Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthian helm with ears?
In this post Giannis K. Hoplite put a photo of an exhibition with an interesting corinthian helmet displayed as a photo to the very far right of the pic. It seems to be a corinthian anyway. But it has ears.
[url:199kiejd]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o118/kadoglou_gr/HellenicWarMuseum.jpg[/url]

Can anyone elaborate on where, when, what, who, is it? I don't think I've seen anything like it before.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The Corinthian did not face out as quickly as people think,
Several attempts were made to prolong its life by rectifying the most serious deciency: hearing.
Specimens like that exist in Olympia Museum and are dated from late 5th century B.C. Most of the specimens are fragmented and not on display.
There is a tendency to rigidly date armor elemets but but in realife they co-existed for more time that we perceive.
Kind regards
Quote:The Corinthian did not face out as quickly as people think,
Several attempts were made to prolong its life by rectifying the most serious deciency: hearing.
Specimens like that exist in Olympia Museum and are dated from late 5th century B.C. Most of the specimens are fragmented and not on display.
There is a tendency to rigidly date armor elemets but but in realife they co-existed for more time that we perceive.
Kind regards
Thanks Stefanos. Are you talking specifically about the corinthian I specified, not with earholes, but with actual anatomical ear decoration, as seen on the cheek guards of Roman cavalry helmets?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for claryfying Jim.
Pottery shows extremely well decorated helmets and there are fragments in various museums showing various scenes almost like glyphs in cheek pieces.
They would probably be worn be the richest hoplites.
Kind regards
I don't know about that corinthian,Tarbicus,(it seems early corinthian to me)but similar anatomical ear decoration was also used in Hellenistic frygian-thracian helmets,too.It's not out of the skills of Archaic manufacturers,though,as they made decorated cheek peaces with goats etc,not to mention the anatomical greaves.But I haven't seen anything similar in Archaic or Classical corinthians.
khaire
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I was hoping to use similar decoration for a Thermopylae Spartan illustration I'm doing, but it looks like it's a no no.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I was hoping to use similar decoration for a Thermopylae Spartan illustration I'm doing, but it looks like it's a no no.
Jim pottery shows many decorated helemts in the 5th century.
If the guy you depict was a member of the Talthybiadae or Aegidae clans,
he could wave even more antiquated equipment.
It is your choice.
If you don't mind me asking - no "Lambdas" on the shields please :!:
In the Greek shield devices thread you will find even links that will aid you.
Kind regards
I certainly dont have a problem with a decorated Corintian at the battle of Thermopylae.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Ooh cool!

@ Gioi, thanks for pointing out the front photo.

@ Stefanos, don't worry, no lambda :wink: I've been looking at reference and have been sent a paper on the subject.

I think I'll put the older helmet with the ears on the poorer hoplite.

Thanks all.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Please find some bigger photos..! That is one nice helmet!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
That Corinthian with ears comes from Olympia, and was found in 1960 or thereabouts. The notice is in Archaiologikon Deltion 17 (1961/2), Meros B, page 117, Table 133.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Jim the 300 Spartans were Ippagretae: the best troopers from each Mora so all 8 "regimental" devices would be prenst in Thermopylae with the probable inclusion of Aegidae and Tlathybiadae which means 2 more shield devices.
ME and me collegue G. Kyvelos have identified them positively.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a Corinthian Helm? SapereAude 83 21,821 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  The Corinthian Helm as a phallic symbol? Magnus 39 13,189 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Arthes