Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tattoos
I am new to Roman re-enactment, but immediately I have a concern...I have tribal tattoos on my forearms. All black inkwork, some celtic some generic tribal marks.

Is this going to be a problem? Can I cover them? Recommendations please....
Richard Wynne
Having a tattoo myself, I think they can easily be covered over, and if not, there is always that "suspend reality" bit where we just ignore the motor vehicles driving about in the background. Then again, my tattoo may not have the same implications as a standard one...

[Image: n63700315_30080199_9507.jpg]
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it would depend on your group leader I suppose. It wouldn't be an issue with me, but some might, you never know.

Legion: TBD
Salve. Welcome to re-enactment.

The answer depends very much on two things - your chosen impression(s) and your group. If it's the Vicus, I believe they have very good standards of authenticity, combined with nice reasonable members - an admirable combination Big Grin

The usual arbiter of what goes on display will be a kit guide or authenticity officer, but asking experienced members of the group concerned will usually indicate a way. So, most groups will say 'no non-period, evidenced tats on display', but covering them is dead easy in the Late Roman, Saxon & Viking periods - long sleeves, which should do for Iron Age Brits, if the tats are deemed unsuitable - probably down to exact designs. I think the only definite evidence for patterns is continental - bog or iceman, can't quite recall. :?

I don't know if there's a cunning way specifically acceptable for Imperial Roman - we normally avoid vambraces, but I know early archers are shown with at least short ones. I've seen the odd tat covered with bandages, appropriately blood-soaked, of course! The other option is adding to designs in temporary ink or henna to make them more acceptable, or attempting to hide them with stage make-up - I've only seen this latter done for stage work, where the audience are at a distance & you can retouch it pretty frequently if needed.

Hope that helps Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Tattoos aren´t as bad as glasses.. Confusedhock:

And as Ste says, sleeves is the best answer! You could of course join a Late Roman group.. :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Welcome to re-enacting and welcome the the tattoo club. I don't have a problem with tattoos or with any of our recurits having tattoos, but I agree, it is up to your commander on what to do about them.

If you do choose or have to cover them up you could always use leather armbraces, or a tunic with long sleeves. At least your tats are of Celtic and tribal designs and not a 57 chevy on our arms. You can always say that you got drunk at the local brothel one night and woke up in a feild half naked and tattoos all over your body.

Me I don't have to worry about my tattoo too much. One, because it is on my upper left arm. Two, because the tattoo is SPQR, so I don't have to worry about it unless I am playing a barbarian that day.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
You could still do Imperial, you could get a long-sleeved tunic and pass off as a Roman up in Britain or Germania - But certainly check with your group. I'm sure something can be worked out.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
There's actually been a discussion on this, although it's more to do with a specifically military mark.
link from old RAT
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I am amazed at both the ready offers of helpful advice and the detailed research that has gone into the discussion. My thanks.
Richard Wynne
Become an auxiliary - wear a long-sleeved tunic!

I have an arm-full of black ink too and I wear long sleeves! :wink:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Covering up tattoos mjsanta83 6 2,113 03-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mjsanta83
  Roman Tattoos Lucius Duccius Rufinus 19 7,924 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Caballo