Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covering up tattoos
JMJ -

Question for all of you who have been doing this for a while.  

I posted a picture of me in another thread.  In it I am holding my scutum and gladius.  On my arm holding the gladius you can clearly see my (very colorful) cross tattoo.  I have a total of four (4) tattoos.  One on each forearm and one on each shoulder (they cover a rather large area, though they are not half sleeves).  

My question is, if I were to join a legion (hopefully...) would I, should I, be worried about covering up my tattoos?  Any thoughts from the veterans?
YBIC
Mike S.
Ideally you'd want to cover them up but I don't think most people will get on you for being unable to do so, not in the US at least. Some of the European groups might.
Yeah Evan is right. Especially modern stuff would be as difficult to explain as glasses. Long sleeves might help as well or (if local) a bandage.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I don't know if they would be 'modern'. One is even written in Latin. I can cover the shoulder ones with sleeves, but I like the idea of bandages on my forearms. I will see what happens if/when I can get in with a group.

Thank you.
YBIC
Mike S.
They would be. They had tatoos in ancient times (we've even found them on mummified corpses) but the art style and everything is totally different.
(02-10-2017, 05:52 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: They would be. They had tatoos in ancient times (we've even found them on mummified corpses) but the art style and everything is totally different.

Fair enough.
YBIC
Mike S.
Coming back to the idea of bandages on my arms: would simple strips of white linen wrapped around my arms in the affected area be the way to go?
YBIC
Mike S.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Tattoos Lucius Duccius Rufinus 19 7,784 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Caballo
  scutum covering again Marcus Mummius 67 14,512 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus
  tattoos Richard Wynne 9 2,316 01-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Peroni