Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaius Julius Caesar\'s final resting place!
That tooo! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Avete omnes,

M.VIB.M. wrote.

Quote:Actually, his facial expression might be a result opf his epileptic fits... he might even have had a slight paralysation in the facial muscles....

A good point, Marcus. Another explanation for that facial expression might be the fact, that he was dead and his face muscles were flagged when the wax mask was taken. My impression was - when I saw the above picture first - that his mouth was a little bit displaced by pressing the wax mask on his face.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quite posibly!, I don't know what they used for the face mask molds, Ewe, I assumed they used plaster. Smile

I thought that might be an injury on his left cheek, but could be something else! I mulled over the facial paralysis as well, but considering how he died, I went for a romantic explanation :roll: :oops: :oops: !

(sadly exposing my hero worship)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm sure I once read that a death mask was made while the person was still living, and was a family tradition. In fact, they weren't literal 'death' masks at all, but 'life' masks of the person's face made from a cast of them, and part of an ongoing family group portrait. The Fayum portraits are a similar example in principal, where the family portrait was taken off the wall and placed with the body after death.

IIRC, that is.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That is how they do it today I believe Tarb, but then I could be wrong....

perhaps in Caesars case he was bumped off before he got around to it?
He was a little preoccupied with affairs of state, civil wars, and a jaunt into Parthia....... :lol:

At the funerals, did they not hire actors to wear the masks of all the ancesters to show what a distinguished line the deceased came from?
Or something along those lines?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Pirates Such a Threat it Took a Military Genius Like Julius Caesar to Beat Them? Wrangler29 1 197 06-05-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,345 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle? Tempestvvv 3 3,738 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Bryan