Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cicero\'s Assassin - Ideas for a Book?
Salvete! I'm a new member to this site and this is my first post. I'm a bit wary of what I put down because I don't really want to make a fool of myself but here we go...

I was planning to write a series of historical fictions focusing around a Centurion in Caesar's legions. The first book beggins after the siege of Alesia, following the defeat of Vercingetorix
However, I came across an article concerning the life of Cicero and I became interested when I discovered that following the civil wars he was assassinated by a Centurion named 'Herennius' so I decided that this assassin would be my main character.

But which of Caesar's legions served under Antony that also served under Caesar? If I was to have Herennius in my book, which Legion would you recommend him to serve?

This is just one of the ideas that I've had... but unfortunately I can understand how this idea corresponds with the television series 'Rome' and I don't want my book to seem like its just a spin-off...

If anyone has any other ideas for the book they would be much appreciated Smile

Grazie, Lorenzo Perring Mattiassi
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F
The soldiers sent to kill Cicero would probably have been from the same body of men that Antony and Octavian used to conduct the proscriptional killings in Rome itself. Appian writes (Civil Wars, Book 3) that each triumvir entered the city with a single legion and his own 'praetorian cohort' - as trusted men, therefore, it's a good bet that Herennius and co came from Antony's bodyguard. These men were all veterans, and would have served under Caesar before being 'retired' and given land following the Munda campaign. The core of them probably included the several thousand raised in Campania in April 44 by Antony himself and his legate Ventidius Bassus: Campania had been settled by veterans of the VII and VIII legions, both of which had served throughout the Gallic wars. Appian claims that the men were all former centurions - this might be unlikely (cf L. Keppie, Legions and Veterans: Roman Army Papers 1971-2000, p.102)) , but certainly all of them were experienced old soldiers. This 'bodyguard' later caused much senatorial trepidation by following Antony into Rome bearing arms (Cicero - Philippics 2.108) - Octavian recruited men from the same place, and for a while during the summer of 44 veterans of the same legions would have faced each other in opposing armies.

Antony's praetorian cohort was probably bulked up later in 44/43 by veterans re-enlisted from elsewhere in Italy, and their number could therefore have included men from any of the former Caesarian 'Gallic' legions VII-XIV. As far as I recall, none of these legions had a particular link with Antony himself, but all would have known of him as a skilled commander and staunch Caesarian.

Incidentally, if you're planning a series of novels it might be an idea to start before Alesia - a centurion of Antony's praetorians would have been a very experienced soldier by 43BC, if not a former centurion in the 'regular' legions. Most, if not all, of the older veterans from Caesar's armies retired after the battle of Philippi and were settled (again!) in Italy.

Regards - Nathan
Nathan Ross
Quote:The soldiers sent to kill Cicero would probably have been from the same body of men that Antony and Octavian used to conduct the proscriptional killings in Rome itself. Appian writes (Civil Wars, Book 3) that each triumvir entered the city with a single legion and his own 'praetorian cohort' - as trusted men, therefore, it's a good bet that Herennius and co came from Antony's bodyguard.

Now that's an interesting suggestion. It might help to explain the status of Popillius Laenas, the military tribune in charge of the "hit squad" (Antonius appointed centurions as the tribunes of his praetorian cohorts).

Lupus (and please give your real name, rather than your username, it's a forum rule!), you could do worse for a character than Laenas: a former centurion who Cicero had once defended for parricide, who then (according to, I think, Dio) set up a statue to celebrate the killing (believe that if you will).

As for the legions, you have a choice of a few: V Alaudae was Antonius' 'signature' legion and was still intact, but Antonius and Octavian were desperately re-levying old Caesarians in the period after Mutina, including, in MA's case, those from VII, VIII and IX (cf. Cic, ad fam 10.33.4 - Schmitthenner (1958) 40-41, for the interested).

Of course, if this assumes that Laenas (and his troops) were Antonian. The killing of Cicero was, after all, something Octavian was VERY eager to pin on Antonius in later life, so all accounts of the episode should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Best wishes, and blue skies

Tom
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cicero\'s decapitation Epictetus 18 3,768 03-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Cicero on Caesar Jona Lendering 6 2,105 06-06-2008, 05:00 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering