Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cicero on Caesar
There is a remark by Cicero, in which he praises the literary qualities of Caesar's Gallic War. I have tried to find that quote, but failed - rather miserably, actually: after two hours, the result was still zero. Anyone else?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Sorry, my gallic war is at home, although I do have a book on Alesia, so will look and see if it was included in any preface material there!

I know the one you mean, but the exact quote escapes me! :roll:

Mind you the quote isn't in the Gallic war now , is it :oops: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Cicero, Brutus 261-262.

Cheers,

R
Quote:Cicero, Brutus 261-262.
Laudes, laudes, laudes.
Jona Lendering
My website
Nicely done Ross,saved me the bother of looking for myself.Some laudes for you too!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Jona,

This thread will not be complete until you post the actual quote in question.

Smile ? wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:This thread will not be complete until you post the actual quote in question.
The Commentaries are splendid: bare, straight and handsome, stripped of rhetorical ornament like an athlete of his clothes. He intended to provide material for others to use in the writing of history; but though he may have gratified some fools who will want to use their curling-irons on it, he has frightened off all the men of sense from putting pen to paper. For there is nothing in a history more attractive than clean and lucid brevity.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cicero\'s decapitation Epictetus 18 3,705 03-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar