Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plumata Samples
Let me first thank Paolo for posting this. I think... :lol:

Quote:$50.00 per square inch Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

I'm sure the cost covers his time and tallent but I figured a shirt to fit me would cost several thousands of dollars...

And you would be correct to a point. Complete pieces are less expensive than samples due to several factors with one of them being time. Another is that all samples are made to order entirely from scratch. Nothing is made in advance, which means it takes time to get a sample constructed. You can contact me privately for prices on complete shirts.

Quote:How long to make a whole shirt? What is the weight per square inch or square foot? Would you post a tutorial?

A full shirt takes several years because you are looking at around 160,000 links and around 20,000 scales. The weight per square inch is around 0.25-0.30 ozs. This would put most shirts at around 28 lbs. give or take. No tutorials at this time, however I am currently working on an article about plumata in conjunction with another researcher.

Quote:My conjecture is just as good as anyone's. The conjecture premised on the link above is the same that appeared in an SCA pamphlet 10 or 20 years ago. The picture on the website doesn't suggest that guy who made the couple of square inches of plumata is old enough to have written said pamphlet; maybe he read it too.

Yes, your conjecture would be as valid as anyone elses provided neither of you had any solid information to validate your claims. In this case we know for a fact how plumata was constructed because there are several existing pieces for us to look at. For the record I had read no pamphlets SCA or otherwise on how to make construct this armour before I did it.

Plumata made in the manner you suggest would not be as sturdy as that made in the manner I am doing. The scales and links work together in a very specific fashion to give this armour its strength.

The piece you posted a link to is owned by Dan Peterson. There are pictures of the Augsburg piece on this site as well. [/quote]
Erik,

Please forgive me if my "comment" sounded wrong. Believe me, if I could afford your armor, especially this one, the money would have been on its way to you yesterday! I was just shocked to see how much labor went into this item and in kind how much was needed money wise to compensate you for your time, effort, and skill...
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
Quote:Erik,

Please forgive me if my "comment" sounded wrong. Believe me, if I could afford your armor, especially this one, the money would have been on its way to you yesterday! I was just shocked to see how much labor went into this item and in kind how much was needed money wise to compensate you for your time, effort, and skill...

How true. This stuff makes regular mail production look like a cake walk. If only my rich Uncle Claudius would buy it for me. Sad

Heck, it's so pretty I might wear it all the time.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
I can vouch for the beauty and intense labor needed for this garment. It is insanely intricate. As Erik pointed it, it is quite strong eventhought the scales and mail are quite fine.

But once it is togther and properly constructed, look out, it is something quite fierce.

I have a small sample made by Erik since he is currently making the complete shirt for me.

I cannot wait until it is complete.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Wow, some major work, dude
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Just to see what it was physically like, since photos rarely do anything justice, I made a single scale and it's connected 4 riveted mail rings (4mm diameter) and I can say without fear of contradiction that Erik's price is not at all unreasonable, and that is is stark raving mad for making this stuff :lol:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!