RomanArmyTalk
Plumata Samples - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Plumata Samples (/showthread.php?tid=10620)

Pages: 1 2

Plumata Samples - Doc - 10-02-2007

If anyone is interested at looking at the most accurate attempt at plumata up to date, :!: go to this website:

http://webpages.charter.net/erikdschmid/ 8)

You will be astonished (I hope) Confusedhock:

Paolo

Re: Plumata Samples - Mark Headlee - 10-02-2007

$50.00 per square inch Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

I'm sure the cost covers his time and tallent but I figured a shirt to fit me would cost several thousands of dollars...

Re: Plumata Samples - Palaemon - 10-02-2007

I wonder what that comes out to in centurion money..... Confusedhock:

Re: Plumata Samples - M. Demetrius - 10-02-2007

Quote:I wonder what that comes out to in centurion money
Lots and lots of nights of digging latrines and polishing centurion armor, I'd bet.

Re: Plumata Samples - Cassius Tullius - 10-03-2007

If the scales were made up in horizontal strips just as they are in conventional scale armor and in place of cordage to link the scales you were to use wire; then insted of linking each individual scail to the links of the mail, the wire that holds the scale together in a strip could be threaded through the horizontal links a section at a time. Alternating between the link that passes through the scale and the links of the lorica, just put the thread/wire through the loops. That means you could upgrade an existing mail shirt to a plumata.

Re: Plumata Samples - Doc - 10-03-2007

Cassius,

By doing what you suggested is not upgrading to "plumata".

Plumata is specifically designed with the scales weaved into the mail. The scales in plumata are not just attached with a wire. They are integrated in the actual armor.

Also in plumata, each individual scale is not linked to the scale next to it as is in squamata. This means that theoretically, each scale has the ability to individually have some movemnet of its own.

Plumata scales are not flat, they are bent at an angle in the back to allow weaving through the mail. Also plumata scales are of a very, very, small size not to mention the mail.

Getting a mail shirt and wiring scales to it is like having a squamata with chainmail.

Paolo

Re: Plumata Samples - marsvigilia - 10-03-2007

This is incredible. I am beside myself with jealousy. How long does it take you to do a square inch? How much have you done? How long to make a whole shirt? What is the weight per square inch or square foot? Would you post a tutorial?

Quote:This is incredible. I am beside myself with jealousy. How long does it take you to do a square inch? How much have you done? How long to make a whole shirt? What is the weight per square inch or square foot? Would you post a tutorial?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it true that there are no surviving examples of plumata. We only know of it from descriptions. Its construction is based on conjecture.

My conjecture is just as good as anyone's. The conjecture premised on the link above is the same that appeared in an SCA pamphlet 10 or 20 years ago. The picture on the website doesn't suggest that guy who made the couple of square inches of plumata is old enough to have written said pamphlet; maybe he read it too.

We do know how the Romans made scale. We have plenty of examples. We know how they made mail, again plenty of examples. Combining the attributes of both has probably occured to more than one armorer throughout the ages ( said without Marsvigilia's dripping sarcasm).

I've made two mail shirts and one lamellar cuirass. I'm not saying the other conjecture isn't valid. I'm putting foward my own conjecture with an eye to practicality and based on my own experience. The method I propose for integrating the scales to the mail would have been do'able by a Roman Armorer.

Re: Plumata Samples - Primvs Pavlvs - 10-03-2007

Angus,

The guy in question is probably one of the most knowledgeable people in the world when it comes to maile. Plus there is no one else making the quality, and to the level of authenticity that Eric is producing.

Re: Plumata Samples - Peroni - 10-03-2007

Quote:Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it true that there are no surviving examples of plumata. We only know of it from descriptions. Its construction is based on conjecture.

There are quite a few surviving examples of plumata, albeit they are small sections, we can see exactly how they were constructed.

Re: Plumata Samples - marsvigilia - 10-03-2007

Quote:
marsvigilia:2gjbz82s Wrote:This is incredible. I am beside myself with jealousy. How long does it take you to do a square inch? How much have you done? How long to make a whole shirt? What is the weight per square inch or square foot? Would you post a tutorial?

Combining the attributes of both has probably occured to more than one armorer throughout the ages ( said without Marsvigilia's dripping sarcasm).

Ummm??? Sometimes I can be sarcastic. Sometimes tongue in cheek. Sometimes just plain silly. I'm not sure what in the statement above appeared to be sarcastic, dripping or not. I had looked at the link in the first post. The scales and rings looked incredibly small and labor intensive. I was (and am) truly impressed. Perhaps I was excited and asked a few questions, but nothing I said was sarcastic. I'm actually thinking of ordering a sample piece. Just so I can dream of what to do with all that money when I win the lottery.

Quote:There are quite a few surviving examples of plumata, albeit they are small sections, we can see exactly how they were constructed.

If that is the case then I stand corrected. Do you have a link? Actual pics that is not just an article.

Re: Plumata Samples - Martin Moser - 10-03-2007

Quote:
Quote:Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it true that there are no surviving examples of plumata. We only know of it from descriptions. Its construction is based on conjecture.

There are quite a few surviving examples of plumata, albeit they are small sections, we can see exactly how they were constructed.

FWIW, the Augsburg piece is quite a lump, something like 1/4 of a whole shirt, maybe even more. Don't have a pic of it, however, I'm afraid.

Re: Plumata Samples - martijn.wijnhoven - 10-03-2007

Quote:Actual pics that is not just an article.

If you use the search option you can find various photos posted on RAT.

Cheers,

Martijn

Re: Plumata Samples - Cassius Tullius - 10-04-2007

After wading through RAT's 56 Search results, here is a pic of lorica plumata; one of 5 or 6 specimens known to exist.

http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45 ... lumata.jpg