Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap Italic G (Hebron) Helmet?
I have seen this helmet, at least similar ones on ebay for sometime, but only now have I actually compared them to the original, and for being an off brand helmet, it actually looks quite good.

The Cheapy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roman-Italic-Hel...629wt_1270

The Original: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,96/

Now the cheekguards are very slightly different, and the neckguard is missing the secondary "steppe", and the ear guards may be slightly large. Also the browguard may be slightly large, its hard to tell from the limited pictures of the original.

What do you guys think? I'm not necessarily interested in it, but I thought maybe some of you guys might, yeah it may have some minor flaws, but for $180 less than Deepeeka's version, perhaps it would be worth a little bit of work?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Yes it would be worth the work, but I would just make my own... :-P

It's not bad, but ugly! I'm sure it can be made to look good but I would ditch the cheek guard and the brace, ugh, idk, then you're making ur own anyway, so why not pay for a proper one...less work :roll:

A quick question please,
I think I'm getting a thing for the coolus type :oops: What would be the correct time frame for a Fulham sword? and then what helmet and armor would go in that time frame? When I first started making my sword, I was attracted to the Hispaniensis, but now feel more like the Fulham....I've seen a find and look just like mine! But I need to know what else equipment would suit it...I'm thinking mid-first century? like 50 A.D? A corbridge type A? and a Coolus? Or a simpler Italic?

But yeah, if you're willing to put in the time to vary this helmet could be a very nice piece and also have some pride that you'd have from making your own!

Sam
Samuel J.
I would get yourself a spun bowl which that one is made from (not hand forged) and make your own.
Brian Stobbs
Sam when you say get rid of the brace? Are you refering to the cross braces? Because those are necessary on this type of helmet.

You could wear a Corbridge A, Fulham gladius (10BC-AD50), (which does date through AD50), and a Coolus C,D,E, or G. Even an Italic B or C would be fine, and if you are looking for a brass helmet, I would recommend the Italic C over the Coolus.

Be warned though, I had a Coolus E before, and perhaps it was due in part that the bowl was a little bit small, but because the Coolus helmets don't factor in that human's have ears, I found thos a little bit annoying, and sometimes the earguards would pinch me a little. Just FYI

-Matt
I was referring to the brace yes, but not to remove it, but replace it, as the current one has a circular design punched and also lays flat across the helmet. It's the brace that runs along the forehead...?

I see thank you much for that info! With the sword I made I want it to be a Fulham, when I was making the blade I wasn't too knowledgeable but I knew the outcome look, which was inspired my the Hispaniensis, but the areas and methods that can't be seen aren't so authentic. Grinding the blade isn't authentic, nor is teething the tang and making the handle from solid laminated Mahogany... I explained in a post exactly how I made it so if you're interested I'll happily provide a link. The handle is darker as it's oiled and you really can't tell it's one piece, nor 3 pieces.
I like the Coolus because it isn't over done and the Coolus C looks quite a nice helm. The Imperials tend to be over done in my view. Now BAD but, big and bulky? I think I'm starting to like them more than I used to...If there is a nice quality Montefortino I am attracted to its simplicity and beauty as one of the first Roman helms, I appreciate your knowledge on the time periods. I feel better, as long as my sword can pass as a Fulham, and isn't too offensive as to how it was made more than how it looks, I won't be making another untill I've made a shield and maybe a seggie. Not sure, I wish I had a crystal ball Sad

Regards Sam
Samuel J.
This helmet is suitable for early to mid-2nd century or so, since it's find date is 150 AD. The ear guards on this helmet are also not good. This helm may be more work than it is worth...and in the end not good for 1st century.

Sam,Coolus helmets are more than suitable for mid-first century, given the context of their finds and the sheer number of them that were in circulation. So any one you choose would be fine.

Sam, may I recommend a few books that will give you some insight into the dating of Roman equiment? These are must-haves anyway...

Roman Military Equipment 2nd Edition

Greece and Rome at War

Legion: TBD
Thank you Magnus/Matt whichever you prefer Smile So any Coolus, great, and no Gallics? I've seen a couple nice simple ones, also, you want your equipment to match the masses 8-)

I will try looking for those books, and if I can't find them I'll try ordering them.

Now this may be a stupid question, but what is a spun bowl, I'll google it, so just tell me why that's better for a helmet than a cold hammered sheet of metal formed into a bowl. Because it's less work? Stronger etc?

Yes the helmet is surely more work than it's worth, excellent way to put it. Everything I see except the single piece of of the bowl is bad. The neck guard looks plane and flat.

I have two books on Rome, I don't know the authors anymore, I read them both and then just now and then read up on something but never pay attention to the authors. One is " Rome and her Enemies" very artistic cover, paperback, big book though. The other, " Rome" I think. It has a orange clay cover with the title. and a large picture oh a man passing three very non roman swords to some elaborately looking officers or generals. It's a famous painting I think.

Sam
Samuel J.
You would also be fine with a Gallic A.

Legion: TBD
Yes I have a Deepeeka Gallic A, and I love it. Its plain compared to other Gallics, and a bit of an oddball, but I love it for those reasons.

According the the Roman Helmet Database, a few of the Agen Port helmets date into the Late Augustan era, I find them to be interesting helmets, especially since a few of them seem to share the "eyebrows" with the Imperial Gallic helms.

If memory serves me well, you said you were doing 9AD impression, right?

-Matt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,179 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Italic E helmet Gaius Colletti 11 2,665 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Hebron Helmet Herod Agrippa 6 1,906 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Herod Agrippa