Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Italic E helmet
Does anybody have pictures of an Italic E helmet, modern reconstruction or original, as I have never seen them, but became intrigued when I stumbled upon this old thread.

According to Crispus: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/20-roma...stion.html, it is also called the 'Hoffheim' helmet? But google showed me nothing.

I know more than a few RAT members have Robinson's book, can anyone share? Thanks
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Nobody has any information on this helmet?

-Matt
[Image: -10_zps37856f22.jpg]

[Image: -9_zps73502eed.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you Jurjen, but doesn't the description say "Italic F"? It's a little hard to make out, perhaps I am mistaken?

-Matt
No, both pics are the "E" from Hofheim.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Much appreciated then. Thanks!

-Matt
You're welcome. The pics of the F are just outside the photograph Wink
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quick cross-question: where can I find a detailed typology of the gallic and italic helmets? Most of the online resources don't provide neither finds/written description nor pictures.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Quick cross-question: where can I find a detailed typology of the gallic and italic helmets? Most of the online resources don't provide neither finds/written description nor pictures.

Basically there are two classification systems, both with their own (dis)advantages. First there is the system proposed by Russel-Robinson, second the German system. I'm not sure where it is introduced, but could well be in Lindenschmidt his work. Junkelmanns books also show this typology. (check also the 'Romische helme' book.

Lastly there is the online source on romancoins.info who has a kind of typology online. Unfortunatelly the Romanarmy.com helmet database isn't online any longer at the moment.
ALA I BATAVORUM
There is also the site roma victrix
http://www.roma-victrix.com

While the site is italian, it is fairly easy to find one's way around and has great photos of finds from all roman eeras.
Conor Boyle

Legio XX VV (Legion ireland)
I had no idea about the Roma-Victrix site, thanks Marcus.

Could someone tell me why the RAT helmet database is down? Lack of funds?

-Matt
Quote:Could someone tell me why the RAT helmet database is down? Lack of funds?

A lack of volunteers to keep it up and running. As far as I know there are indeed volunteers to maintain the content of the database, but no people for the technical part of it. The technical maintenance is just a lot of work and with all the (sometimes silly) complains and recent down-time errors, I can see Jasper being busy enough already keeping the forum part up and running.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,136 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Cheap Italic G (Hebron) Helmet? Gaius Colletti 8 2,962 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  My new Italic A Helmet caiusbeerquitius 11 2,785 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius