Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smithsonian article on discoveries in Libya
smithsonianmag.com/smiths.../digs.html <p></p><i></i>
Do you know where we can see some pictures?<br>
Johnny <p></p><i></i>
"Last June, Ziegert hired Libyan workers to lift the panels out of the ground, haul them more than a mile and cement them to the walls of the small Leptis Magna Mosaic Museum financed by Italian officials"<br>
<br>
<br>
WTF?? OMG!! <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yeah, I read that too. Ziegert must have a cement brain. I just hope he didn't ruin them completely.<br>
Johnny <p></p><i></i>
...as it sounds. Removing mosaics and cementing them into museumn walls is standard practise, and if it is done right, it won't do lasting damage. 'Cement' covers a multitude of glops.<br>
<br>
I studied at the University of Hamburg's archeology department (or what's left of it, after budget cuts) and I know they are good with mosaics. OTOH Professor Ziegert is not known - how to put this - for patience or readiness to take advice, as far as I know. He might simply have done what the government of Libya asked him to, and d**n his colleagues' advice (in which case staff meetings might get interesting now - ah, to be fly on the wall).<br>
<br>
But I would say simply removing mosaics would be the right thing to do. You really do not want art treasures of inestimable value lying around at a known location in the desert, policed by Libyan guards. It is standard practise except in a few select countries that are educated enough to follow this policy and rich enough to build museums all over the place. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chance to influence the Smithsonian richsc 13 2,720 03-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Limes in Libya Jona Lendering 27 4,792 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering