Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance to influence the Smithsonian
For those who've seen it or even managed to find it, the western civilization hall at the Smithsonian is pretty lame. The past curator, a Dr. Van Beek, was well known for excavating parts of pre-bronze age Israel, if I understand the research. However, he has just retired, and they don't have a replacement in mind. Seems to me that now is the time to influence the Smithsonian so that they place a greater emphasis on ancient egypt, Greece and Rome, bronze age, etc.
While this may mainly apply to US members, maybe influence from abroad will carry weight as well. I'll do some research on who's who in the Smithsonian and how to carry the message to the Museum director & Smithsonian.

Richard
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:For those who've seen it or even managed to find it, the western civilization hall at the Smithsonian is pretty lame.

Yeah, it's almost as if they threw it in as an afterthought. ("Oh wait! Don't we have to do something for those pesky Mediterranians?") Hopefully the Smithsonian will take into consideration the rising popularity of classical studies in the US. After being glossed over for decades it's finally starting to make a comeback.
K.E.McElligott

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - M.Tullius Cicero
From Ms. Margolis at the Smithsonian:

"You would need to contact the department chair, Dan Rogers - [email protected] - about their plans; as far as I know nothing has been conveyed to the executive staff. The anthropology department is working on a strategic plan for their exhibit halls for the future and that hall is scheduled for demolition, restoration and renovation in the future, but much of what we do will depend on private funding."

Thinking on private money, who's the fellow from HP doing the Herculaneum papyrii work? He needs a place to put that, no?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Just revisited it today. Rather sparse. Carthage is allotted a footnote under the mosaic. The entire Celtic world is three silkscreens on the wall.

The Romans at the Smithsonian

The Greek world at the Smithsonian

the celtic world at the Smithsonian
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
So, is that the Greek display in the square cabinet in the forground, or the one to the left? Confusedhock: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: Seems to me that now is the time to influence the Smithsonian so that they place a greater emphasis on ancient egypt, Greece and Rome, bronze age, etc.

I haven't been there yet, but I'd like to at some point. If the Hall is supposed to for Western Civilization, I think a more broad approach is necessary. The whole "ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome" idea sounds very Victorian. Yesterday I attended an Open house at the University of Texas and had 30,000 kids come through. It was amazing how may of them had no idea who the Celts were. The display we had was cool because it was all pre-Roman (sorry guys, you know how it goes). The kids enjoyed handling domestic and war-time reproductions.

Anyway, I think museums and textbooks overlook the rest of civilization and follow a century old pattern to teach what is easy: The civilizations that could write. What about the rest of the world that was illiterate (pre-historic), but archaeology has shown some really incredible achievements. Isn't that why some of the Bronze Age outside of Greece is so popular?
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Quote:s that the Greek display in the square cabinet in the forground, or the one to the left?
That's it in the background.
If you squint at the mosaic, the smudge in the lower left is the history of Carthage.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Not to rain on anyones parade, but one of the only ways to influence large museums like the Smithsonian, the Met, etc... is with your pocketbook. And then only if it has plenty of digits to the left of the decimal. :wink: Smaller museums are a different story.
Quote:Not to rain on anyones parade, but one of the only ways to influence large museums like the Smithsonian, the Met, etc... is with your pocketbook. And then only if it has plenty of digits to the left of the decimal. :wink: Smaller museums are a different story.

This is a very good point Erik...along that note, If someone else could do the organizing (I am overseas currently and although willing I am unable) I would be willing to give some money towards the ends of donating to the Smithsonian an accurate, full military kit or whatever else consensus thought would be a meaningful and appropriate contribution.

Maybe this is naive but in my opinion, even though this would be a far cry for a major donation, it might be an easy way (for the museum) to start to get them on the right track.

It would be cool to go back there one day with my kids (and grandkids even!) and say "Your (grand)dad helped put that here!"

-Severus
I just read the original post, and as a student who regularly walks by, and around, the Smithsonian museums, I also feel frustrated at the lack of interest in the Graeco-Roman world. I will admit that their current exhibits are amazing, but I can't, for the life of me, understand why they don't embrace such an era.

Quote:This is a very good point Erik...along that note, If someone else could do the organizing (I am overseas currently and although willing I am unable) I would be willing to give some money towards the ends of donating to the Smithsonian an accurate, full military kit or whatever else consensus thought would be a meaningful and appropriate contribution.

I would be more than happy to give money as well, and I wonder if members of RAT would be willing to organize a fundraiser to address the issue. Not that I don't want to travel to some of the museums in New York or Europe, but it would be nice to walk down the street and have the chance to connect with artifacts and exhibits.

I'm just a student, but if anyone else feels the same way and might want to help organize such an undertaking, I'd be happy to help.
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Here's the letter I just sent to the Department head at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. I will take the lead on trying to get the Smithsonian to re-emphasize western civilization. If you feel like writing a letter, PM me for Mr. Roger's email (trying to avoid giving his email to the spam bots)

Mr. Dan Rogers
Department Chair,
Museum of Natural History

Dear Mr. Rogers,

I am an amateur historian and enthusiast of ancient Rome and the western world and a life long resident of Washington. For many years I’ve felt that the relegation of western civilization to the back, upper corridors of the museum to be a very meager and insufficient display. With the advent of the internet, over the past few years I’ve found many people who feel the same way. However, given what we know of the Smithsonian’s funding, and the competing priorities for exhibits, research and staff, we know the opportunity to influence change is remote. Just by coincidence then, I discovered that your curator for western civilization had retired. While I understand and offer sympathy about his reasons for retirement, it does open up an opportunity to demonstrate to the US and the world that the Smithsonian has a real interest in the history of western civilization.

Specifically, the opening of the position, which I hope you fill now that the continuing resolutions are passed, offers the Smithsonian a chance to demonstrate a shift in emphasis. I am perhaps presuming too much to infer that the prior incumbent, Dr. Van Beek, was not very supportive, as there are probably many factors involved. But the truth of the existing hall (Carthage relegated to a footnote on a mosaic: the entire Celtic world in three silk screens on the wall) is that it gives short shrift to the entire subject. I think I speak for a lot of people in hoping that the department’s support and the position description and recruitment for the new curator will put a stronger emphasis on the entirety of the history of western civilization.

There are a number of people who would be glad to donate time, effort and money to help augment the current hall and to work on the future. Among the Roman military enthusiasts, there is an offer to donate entire reproductions of Roman armor.

While I speak for many, I only learned of the opening last week. I will be passing the information along to many other groups, in hopes of generating support for this new emphasis. I don’t know what your time frame is for the position, but I do not doubt you will be seeing further letters of support over the next few weeks. I hope as well that the interest results in sufficient funds that would help any effort on this behalf.

I’d be glad to help in any way. Please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Richard Campbell
8820 Camfield Drive
Alexandria, Virginia 22308
703 622 4508
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
One thing that would be important to know is how large a collection they currently have of Greek and Roman material. It's not something they're known to have a lot of in storage (to my knowledge) and it's blessedly hard to actively collect and build up in this particular area--just look at what happened to the Getty.
L. M. Anderson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute">www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute
As you can see, the head of the Anthropology Division at the Mus. of Natural History did reply to my email. Cost is a foremost issue, as several of you pointed out. I was surprised at the number of visitors at the hall,
considering its placement.

It may be worthwhile however to suggest improvements that the Smithsonian could do for lower cost, like setting up display cases or giving lectures, or an event of some kind that they would sponsor. At any rate, I think it's worth reading the response and starting to think what could be done to get this moved up in priorities. Letters to congress and senators might work out, so that's one option to think of.

------ Original Message ------
Received: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:39:20 AM EDT
To: "Richard Campbell" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: : Hall of Western Civilization, renovation and new
emphasis

Dear Mr. Campbell:
Thank you for making contact and for your interest in the Western Cultures exhibit. I am sympathetic to the issues you raise. The Western Cultures exhibit has been in place for many years and it is showing its age, although it continues to be an attraction for hundreds of thousands of people every year. For instance, during July and August, between 100 and 300 people per hour view the exhibit. Our primary problem is the great amount of funding it requires to make substantial revisions. For instance, we have developed new plans for an expanded Egyptian section, however, we have had limited success at fundraising. Any substantial revisions require private funding and, as you are aware, the Smithsonian is a complex organization with many priorities. We may have some modest resources to make minor revisions, but I will not know
about that funding for a few more months.

Dr. Gus Van Beek is the retired curator you mentioned. He, unfortunately, is very ill at the moment. We hope for his recovery and expect that he will continue to be involved with his research and assisting with exhibit planning as his health improves. If you should happen to visit the Museum you will note that there is a lot of construction of new exhibits underway. The "Ocean" exhibit is currently a major (30,000 sq. ft. exhibit) project for the Museum. Following that, we will be installing a major new exhibit on "Human Origins". We are very proud of both of these projects. These projects require many millions in funding. This means that substantial changes to the exhibit are likely to be much further down the road. It also depends, of course, on the priorities established by the Museum. Our ability to raise funds is often limited to one or two major projects at a time. Although Western Cultures needs updating, my main goal at the moment is to not dismantle it until we are assured of our ability to install some type of new exhibit in that space. Also tied to this are plans to renovate the heating and air-conditioning systems in that part of the building. We have recently taken down several Anthropological exhibits and it will be several years before other new exhibits can be installed.

I hope this information is of some help. Again, thank you for your interest.

Regards,
Dan Rogers
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Good show Rich!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your chance to see the Crosby Garrett helmet mcbishop 6 2,005 09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Smithsonian article on discoveries in Libya Anonymous 4 1,131 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach