Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulder doubling attachment
Ok Cheers. Guess their not an option then.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I made a copy of the one in Connolys's Greece and Rome at War. Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the piece. I made it from a piece of bronze roughly 7 inches long by 1 inch. If I remember correctly it was a very simple project.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
A heckuva lot simpler than the articulated dragon heads, that's for sure! I spent a long time trying that a couple of years ago, then threw away my feeble attempt and succumbed to Raymond's Quiet Press. Sigh.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The rectangular piece is showed in Connolys's Greece and rome at war, in the part dedicated to celtic armour.

Connolly has used a depiction on a Pergamon relief.
Not that one, Cesar. It's an actual find published somewhere, with punched dot decoration around its edges, and the two cutouts for hooking onto the buttons as seen in Connolly's pic.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually I'm only aware of two sculptural depctions of hooks- the Arch of Orange and that Celtic warrior (can't recall where he is just now), and everything else (save the Ahenobarbus) has nothing at all; I don't think any tombstones show anything- at least none we have in the Imagebase- but clearly they were common- museums are full of them and there's at least one clearly still associated with it's balled-up mail shirt shown in Junkelmann's Die Legionen des Augustus. As for buckles, I seem to recall not all that long ago I saw a mail artifact associated with some buckles but I couldn't find much useful information about it- really Roman, etc.- and no sculptural depiction I know of shows anything 'attaching' the doubler, which, presumably, is why most make it an integral piece as opposed to detachable. To me it makes rather more sense to be so since it would be far more mobile on even several buckles than attache fully by rings...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I do think that there was a reference some where to the Erik Schmid web site that shows the Kalkriese chest hooks and four buckles on a Hamata that he made. The hooks and the buckles are those which I made for that particular chainmail, I just can't put my finger on where that was now. The idea of the buckles I think are connected to a find made of some chainmail in East Angliar U K. if memory serves me I think they are in Colchester.
Brian Stobbs
It's here Brian..
http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php? ... ht=sheepen
Yes, the mail shirt was a British shirt - not Roman and was found at the Lexden tumulus near Colchester.
Quote:Lexden Tumulus, Colchester
Round Barrow(s)
This Iron Age burial mound dates from around 10 BC and may have contained the body of Addedomaros of the Trinovantes. The grave goods give an insight into the extent of Romanisation of the local aristocracy more than 50 years before the Claudian invasion. There were 17 wine jars, chain mail and a coin of Augustus struck in 17 BC which had been mounted as a portrait medallion. Other items included a statuette of Cupid and figurines of bull, boar and griffin. Trade with Roman Gaul was already influencing fashions among the rich.

There are the remains of small buckles visible in the lumps of mail. Whether these were for a doubler or for a side opening is not known.

There are some photos here...
http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=197889#197889
Thanks very much Adrian for all that information you have given great.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celtic shoulder doubling LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 2 1,378 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  shoulder doubling weave direction Taoye 1 1,352 09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  shoulder doubling MarcusMemmiusFalco 3 1,968 04-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius