Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow glove
Salvete,

A question to the archers on this forum. I'd like to make a leather hand protector. It's to protect the bowhand getting cut by the quill and feathers. I know this can be avoided by nocking the arrow somewhat higher on the bowstring.

Does someone have a pattern or clear pictures of such a bow hand protector?

Thanks in advance!

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Personally I have never had a problem, but you could use a simple leather arm bracer with an extended portion coming from the wrist?

There is a 'cock' flight on the arrow which should always be nocked pointing away from the hand It doesn't hurt so much that way! :wink:
Part of the fun of archery is getting beat up. Smile

When you fletch your arrows, serve the ends of the feathers with linen thread or sinew, and that should take care of most of the problem. And as Peroni said, if you use three feather fletching, the cock arrow will be the one passing over your bow hand. Reverse of course if you shoot left handed.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Thanks fratres. Yes, I know this and have no problem with it myself, but some people asked me to make them one. And I love leatherwork. I have a lot of scrap pieces lying around and they would be suitable for a project like this.

I made every leather bag/pouch/satchel Martin Moser posted on RAT plus some other things and now my inspiration has run dry...

There most be a lot more obscure Roman leather objects around waiting to be recreated but it's difficult to find good publications.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The archer of the Romercohort Opladen has a bowglove just like you would want. I saw it today, very well done. Give them a mail, all problems solves! I just use a bracer for the lower arm, no problems with flething, but be sure to get the spine of your arrows right, and it will easily clear the hand on the bow.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather Hand Guard/Glove to carry Scutum Antoninus05 17 4,502 05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius