Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roman Diploma (unpublished)
Here is a new, Roman Diploma, so far unpublished - it is up for private sale at around US$65,000. Here is the accompanying blurb from the (Edited by Moderator) site "ROMAN BRONZE MILITARY DIPLOMA OF M. SOLLIUS GRACILIS

Constituted 22 August 139 under the emperor Antoninus Pius, and the suffect consules L. Minicius Natalis (Quadronius Verus) and L. Claudius Proculus, for the Praetorian Fleet of Ravenna. The recipient veteran was from the tribe of the Scordisci, with the Roman name M. Sollius Gracilis. His fathers name is Zura, a name known from Moesia inferior in the lower Danube area. The Scordisci were a Celtic tribe living in lower Pannonia - Illyria between the Sava, Drava, and Danube rivers.
Copied and checked from the bronze tablet fixed to the wall at Rome behind the temple of the deified Augustus at the shrine of Minerva. The outside face of the reverse tablet lists the names of seven witnesses. The whole comprising two rectangular tablets each pierced twice for binding.

Soon to be published in Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik: "New Diplomas for the Italian Fleets", by Werner Eck and Andreas Pangerl.

Ca. AD 139

H. 5 1/2 in. (14.2 cm.) x 4 5/8 in. (11.8 cm.)

These diplomas are actually copies of original bronze documents that were kept in an archive in Rome. The copies were distributed to a serviceman upon his retirement as proof of his honorable service and newly acquired citizenship (at the end of a minimum twenty-five year military service, citizenship was awarded to the soldier and wife and children). The text was repeated twice, on the outside and on the inside, to prevent fraud since the sealed interior text could not be tampered with. If a former soldier enjoying retirement on the Dalmatian coast was suspected of forging the cover of his diploma, local government officials could break the seals and verify that the interior text corresponded to the front cover without having to wait for confirmation from the archives in distant Rome. Today, Roman military diplomas are beloved by scholars because they contain of wealth of information that can be precisely dated. Through such records, it is possible to track the deployment of troops throughout the empire and to chart the rise in rank of specific individuals. Likewise, in the life of a specific soldier, we can determine where he was born, raised, what wars he fought in, and to where he retired."
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Great heads up and overview of these items. Thanks alot for posting this information. I will keep a look out for that book. One slight correction though, it would have been 26 years of service for citizenship through service in the Marines. 25 years was the requirement for the Auxies.

As a follow up, does anyone have the text of the partial diploma found near Ravenglass in Britain in the 1970's? I would appreciate that partial text very much. Alternately P. A. Holder wrote an article a few years ago on the find, if anyone has a copy of that article I understand there is a transcription included.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Can You tell us which words point to the fact that he belonged to Scordisci tribe? By the way their territory was extended to Morava valley, from Mursa to Viminacium/Pincum.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Quote:does anyone have the text of the partial diploma found near Ravenglass in Britain in the 1970's?
P.A. Holder, "A Roman military diploma from Ravenglass, Cumbria", Bull. John Rylands Library 79 (1997), 3-41.

If you track this down, I'd appreciate a copy!! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:P.A. Holder, "A Roman military diploma from Ravenglass, Cumbria", Bull. John Rylands Library 79 (1997), 3-41.

If you track this down, I'd appreciate a copy!! Big Grin
Once the library re-opens at Penn after Christmas, I can probably run it down, Duncan...

Quote:Can You tell us which words point to the fact that he belonged to Scordisci tribe?
The fifth line from the bottom, last word -- SCORDI[SCO].
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Dan,

If you get it could I have a copy as well?

Cordially,

Mike
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
As you say they were administrative copies but in my view the whereabouts of Roman veterans would be difficult to really know wouldnt they>? I mean the did have a census now and then, but not like all the information on individuals governments these days would have.

any Idea about how things were taken care of back then>?

for instance, trader sells goods to the province, buyer doesnt pat bu vanishes into thin air.. what would they do?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I think wandering off/disappearing was much harder in those times than now. In that society, everyone had a place and knew it. 'Doing a Runner' was much harder....where could you go? No transport as we know it.( at walking speed or not much faster) ....how would you feed yourself then ? (far less cash about then)...you'd stick out as a 'stranger' immediately ( in those days, even the accent more than 10 miles from home would be different)...you'd soon be hunted down, if you didn't starve.......

I suspect this is why even badly treated slaves rarely "ran"......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unpublished papers of the deceased Steven James 4 866 09-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Unpublished Byzantine inscription from Cyrrhus Jona Lendering 7 2,282 05-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Diploma Quiz raeticus 10 2,551 10-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius