RomanArmyTalk
Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts (/showthread.php?tid=7826)

Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - richsc - 12-20-2006

I think the plumbata are vindicated by ending up on the list of worst toys ever. Oops, make that lawn darts:

Toy or weapon?

How many of you have seen all ten of these? How many of you have eliminated a sibling with them?

[Image: 5053.jpg]

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Robert Vermaat - 12-21-2006

Yes - plumbatae rule!!!! Big Grin
Quote:Sadly, today's underage boys will never know the primal excitement of a summer's evening spent impaling friends before suppertime.
Aww, the poor sods.. Well, join the Late Romans and ye shall have yer fun after all! Before suppertime and after! :twisted:

I also want this for my kids - real artillery!

[Image: JOHNNY-REB-CANNON.jpg]

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Primvs Pavlvs - 12-21-2006

I had so many of these as a child. We used to sharpen them on my friends bench grinder, and throw them at trees!

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Arthes - 12-21-2006

Quote:I had so many of these as a child. We used to sharpen them on my friends bench grinder, and throw them at trees!
What ..... artillary cannons .......??? :roll: :lol:

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Steve Schonberger - 12-22-2006

My favorite on the list was the (very un-Roman) Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab. The cloud chamber and Geiger counter both sound like cool gadgets. Unlike the lawn-darts, the kit doesn't probably isn't nearly as dangerous as it sounds, since U-238 is fairly harmless unless it's powdered or burned, then inhaled. I wonder what such a kit would go for on Ebay, if still in working order.

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - aitor iriarte - 12-22-2006

'U-238 is fairly harmless unless it's powdered or burned, then inhaled'
Mmmh, exactly the kind of operations that a kid would perform with it... Tongue

Aitor :lol:

darts - Graham Sumner - 12-22-2006

Does that sign mean you must not use the underarm method of throwing? Big Grin

Graham.

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Primvs Pavlvs - 12-22-2006

Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:no73mpc4 Wrote:I had so many of these as a child. We used to sharpen them on my friends bench grinder, and throw them at trees!
What ..... artillary cannons .......??? :roll: :lol:

Nope no cannons, but I did buy a musket when I was 14, and that uses black powder.

Re: Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts - Steve Schonberger - 12-24-2006

A media appearance of a lawn dart:

On tonight's Saturday Night Live rerun, they had a "Redneck Emergency Room" segment (or whatever it's called), which featured a guy with a lawn dart stuck in his head, among the other weird injuries. (I just turned it on to see if they had a new one this week.)