Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plumbata vindicated in Lawn Darts
I think the plumbata are vindicated by ending up on the list of worst toys ever. Oops, make that lawn darts:

Toy or weapon?

How many of you have seen all ten of these? How many of you have eliminated a sibling with them?

[Image: 5053.jpg]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes - plumbatae rule!!!! Big Grin
Quote:Sadly, today's underage boys will never know the primal excitement of a summer's evening spent impaling friends before suppertime.
Aww, the poor sods.. Well, join the Late Romans and ye shall have yer fun after all! Before suppertime and after! :twisted:

I also want this for my kids - real artillery!

[Image: JOHNNY-REB-CANNON.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I had so many of these as a child. We used to sharpen them on my friends bench grinder, and throw them at trees!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I had so many of these as a child. We used to sharpen them on my friends bench grinder, and throw them at trees!
What ..... artillary cannons .......??? :roll: :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
My favorite on the list was the (very un-Roman) Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab. The cloud chamber and Geiger counter both sound like cool gadgets. Unlike the lawn-darts, the kit doesn't probably isn't nearly as dangerous as it sounds, since U-238 is fairly harmless unless it's powdered or burned, then inhaled. I wonder what such a kit would go for on Ebay, if still in working order.
'U-238 is fairly harmless unless it's powdered or burned, then inhaled'
Mmmh, exactly the kind of operations that a kid would perform with it... Tongue

Aitor :lol:
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Does that sign mean you must not use the underarm method of throwing? Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:no73mpc4 Wrote:I had so many of these as a child. We used to sharpen them on my friends bench grinder, and throw them at trees!
What ..... artillary cannons .......??? :roll: :lol:

Nope no cannons, but I did buy a musket when I was 14, and that uses black powder.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
A media appearance of a lawn dart:

On tonight's Saturday Night Live rerun, they had a "Redneck Emergency Room" segment (or whatever it's called), which featured a guy with a lawn dart stuck in his head, among the other weird injuries. (I just turned it on to see if they had a new one this week.)