RomanArmyTalk
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 (/showthread.php?tid=5226)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Tarbicus - 11-18-2006

Quote:The power of the Hastings event (I think we all agree this is the quality to strive for) is mainly based on the very strick equipment rules. Not good enough = not welcome.

But aren't there more re-enactors from that period, so they can afford to be that choosy?

I'll add there are probably far more suppliers of their gear as well.

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Robert Vermaat - 11-18-2006

We agree on most things.

Quote:In 2005 Kalkriese was rushed by the audience. There werent a place where you were able to turn. The toilettes didnt reached for the masses (a desaster for the women). And the groups that were there catched the whole place, only leaving 1 action field and the little wall side. If we really get this mass we want to the event, Kalkriese will not be big enough.
Yes.
Hastings is not big either, but it has a good organisation behind the event that has done that thing before many times. Frankly, I have heard complaints about the Kalkriese event for both the 2003 event (I was there) as well as the 2005 event, and I think that if they want to improve on the carnage that you just described, the 2007 event must be near perfect, or else we'd best forget about it. That's haersh? Yes, but also realistic. I think it's up to the Kalkriese organisers to answer.

Also, Hastings is situated next to a town, while Kalkriese is not - that is a big disadvantage, because if thousands turn up again I doubt if there won't be a spectator chaos that will clog all the roads.

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:2sdc7q07 Wrote:The power of the Hastings event (I think we all agree this is the quality to strive for) is mainly based on the very strick equipment rules. Not good enough = not welcome.
But aren't there more re-enactors from that period, so they can afford to be that choosy?
I'll add there are probably far more suppliers of their gear as well.

Hardly. So, what to do?

There are more than 2000 Roman re-enactors worldwide?

Hi Stefan,

I don't think that Roman cannot work together with the Germans, to the contrary. But for an event on a very large scale we need a good organisation and a good spot.
For me, I have doubts about Kalkriese, especially when the government becomes involvbed. Usually they don't mind too much about historical details as long as there are some Roman groups around who battle some Germans in some woods, on the Kalkriese park of course. These things happen a lot, last time it was the York festival about Constantine the Great that did not mind if there were no Late Romans. But I digress.

I think that what all wnat here on this thread, including me and you, is feasable with some changes. One of them would be to leave the Kalkriese park aside as the main spectator area. We could stage the camps there as usual, but walk along the proposed route for real.

No, the organisers won't be too happy, because that means the focus is not all the time on their grounds (=paying customers). But if we want anything more than a walk of about 200 meters in full front of the public...
It will get the attention of the press, so maybe the politicians will be happy too.

Quote:There are more than 2000 Roman re-enactors worldwide?

Easily.
But as I said, Hastings is the quality we strive for, I don't think for one minute that is the quality we can reach.
Like you said, anachronism is almost impossible to avoid (but then, where do we set the lines?).
Also the numbers, we won't be able to reach that. Some say 2009 is a long way off, but we won't have much time to organise and test it all. Cry

Quote:walk along the proposed route for real.
Hear hear!!

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Robert Vermaat - 11-21-2006

Stefan,

From what I've heard, if we want t do this at Kalkriese, I think that you Germans will have to try and get ideas across to the Kalkriese organisers. They don't need our idea (they have their own event plus backing) - it's up to us to convince them. Because with Xanten also organising an event that year I think it will be extremely difficult to organise yet another big Roman event in Germany for 2009.

IF we really want to do a big Roman event in Germany in 2009, I think Kalkriese is still our best possibility.

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Ulfwin - 11-21-2006

Robert,

you are right. With about everything you've written :wink: . Yes, the Kalkriese Museum has to be convinced, and as you said before, the 2007 event must be very fine. We will be there together with other germanic groups who also know from our megalomanic ideas. We will push a bit further into interacting with you Romans. From my experience the organisers will have no time to talk and think during the 2007 event, but some time later there should be a deadline where they say yes or no.
The hole project will have a couple of deadlines, where critical points have to be checked, and if it prooves impossible to achieve a certain standard, there have to be smaller plans. The big thing should be a great thing, too. If it were embarassing, then there'd better be no such show at all.
The problem about me, aside my stubborness: I myself am already convinced, that IF 2009 there is some event labelled "Varusschlacht" at all, then it must better be oversized, because it will attract a lot of barbarian people, either with control and installed in a big happening, or as more or less unwelcome visitors to a small happening. So I think for any organiser who wants anything connecting "living history" and "Varus 2009" there is not much choice. It has to be very small or very big, a thing inbetween is quite daring. That's what I will tell the organisers again and again. And because I believe it, they will finally believe it, too. Or not. :wink:

Cheers,

Stefan

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Tib. Gabinius - 11-21-2006

Stefan:
i heared rumors about the planing of Kalkriese 2007 that they will try to hold it in 1st century.
If this will be right, i bet it will be a problem for our late roman friends here to get in also.

Do you have any information about that or an idea to which date you have an answer of Kalkriese?

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Ulfwin - 11-21-2006

Yes, that's what is written in the invitation: first century or explaining the visitors, that you refer to the time before or after the Varus Battle. But it depends - as always - on how one sells it: if you are first century and want to bring in some second, third and fourth century Romans, it is either a weakness and you come alone, or it is your strength and you perform a display of the development of the Roman Army over three hundred years, which is high level information and really interesting....

However, everyone who wants to participate in May 2007 in Kalkriese has to send his informations to Mrs Hanselmann (find her there: http://www.kalkriese-varusschlacht.de ) until mid December.

About the 2009 Event I would prefer to make not too much noise towards the Kalkriese Museum now. First have a worked out plan, then try to convince them. Otherwise it would just be irritating and make them nervous, hearing dozens of requests about something they don't think about now.

Cheers,

Stefan

Quote:About the 2009 Event I would prefer to make not toomuch noise towards the Kalkriese Museum now. First have a worked out plan, than try to convince them. Otherwise it would just be irritating and make them nervous, hearing dozens of requests about something they don't think about now.

Absolutely. Let's work out something and ask Kalkriese only after a) the plan is well-developed and b) the 2007 event is over.

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Tib. Gabinius - 11-21-2006

Ok, now i understand, thanks Stefan.

Robert, if its a plan now i ll stop my engagment to other possible locations, cause it wouldnt make sense.

Quote:Robert, if its a plan now i ll stop my engagment to other possible locations, cause it wouldnt make sense.
I've sent you a PM.

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Alexius - 11-25-2006

Dear fellows,

I think in this matter I need say something about this “activityâ€