RomanArmyTalk
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 (/showthread.php?tid=5226)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Marcus Mummius - 10-22-2007

Mmm too bad there isn't going to be anything massive. A missed opportunity...

But we will have Marle 2008 in France, there will be hundreds of soldiers here, making a single camp with ditches and drilling en masse. They seem to be better at organising than the guys at Kalkriese...

Vale,

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-22-2007

Well, I have a sneaking suspicion that now a date is set, there will be a massive turnout! I am going to do everything in my powers to be there!! 8)

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-24-2007

BTW, I have ordered a belt especially for this event....so I have made a start.....lets hope it turns out to be a memorable event...

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Titus Martius - 10-27-2007

Vexillatio from Legio X GPF will definitely come to 2009 event! :wink:

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Marcus Mummius - 10-27-2007

I think I misread the announcement about the event. :oops: I thought there would be about 3-4 groups invited... That's why I was disappointed.

I hope the organisers will be able to provide accomodation for everyone who comes.

Vale,

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Tarbicus - 10-27-2007

Quote:But there are rumours that they are in negotiation with different groups and organizers, including our pan-germanic Comitatus, so there is hope for a big event, maybe 3 or 4 times the size of 2007.
Actually Jef, that sounds like there will be only 3 or 4 groups invited for the event, the Late Roman Comitatus included. You might have been right?

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Titus Martius - 10-27-2007

Oh, so this event will be only for chosen groups?

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Tarbicus - 10-27-2007

It's not clear at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if you catch my drift.

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Marcus Mummius - 10-27-2007

Well, I hope we are wrong... :wink:

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Robert Vermaat - 10-27-2007

Quote:
Ulfwin:9rfxceb6 Wrote:But there are rumours that they are in negotiation with different groups and organizers, including our pan-germanic Comitatus, so there is hope for a big event, maybe 3 or 4 times the size of 2007.
Actually Jef, that sounds like there will be only 3 or 4 groups invited for the event, the Late Roman Comitatus included. You might have been right?
Not the Late Roman Comitatus, but Ulfwin is referring to a group of german people who have organised themselves as a single group, portraying 1st-c. Germanic troops.

In fact Late Roman troops are not wanted for this event, which apparently will be stricktly reserved for 1st-c. equipment only. Cry

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Caius Fabius - 10-27-2007

I guess the actual size of the event will depend on how many show up in "kit". Especially romans, with their own food and shelter, should be able to find somewhere to stay? Even if they had to club up and rent a farmer's field a short walk away from the museum?

If you don't expect any support from the museum, and go on your own Euro, then if you do get a free meal you can just be happy. :lol: If not, you are still there for the 2000th anniversary. Big Grin

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Andreas Gobinius - 10-27-2007

I am afraid, that Museum at Kalkriese will not be able to cover all costs if it is the main organizer... :?: The fact is, that 2000 years of Varus defeat is rather connected with early Roman period, but that is natural opportunity to make something wider in chronological or participation's sense... However there should be organization or institution interested in organizing something wider in Germany (Museums in Osnabruck or Kalkriese?). If I realized what Ulfwin said the kind of this event is not precised yet, but maybe if Comitatus or mentioned museums are interested hopefully it could be massive... :?

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Ulfwin - 10-27-2007

Ehem.

Well, what I tried to say: 2007 there were altogether about 30 Germanics and maybe 80 Romans. Three times that means, as I understand the Kalkriese Mueseum, they can - perhaps - imagine 150 Germanics and 300 Romans. I know groups that say, they have there engagement already fixed, so far it all goes some way.
The concurrence, the different groups in negotiation, I spoke about is notabout the subject of participation at all, yet about who "rules" the big battle, who prepares a common show. That is the point where I see trouble, because there will be a battle reenactment anyway. The public asks for it, we do, so it will come. But the museum seems to think they make contracts with this group and that group and everyone makes his own show, they do not imagine how nice it could be, if only they played with open cards, they just put the names of the groups on their homepage or make up an email-distributor.
Then I would be absolutely content, we could contact each other and make arrangements for a nice battle reenactment. But the way it is, I will be informed by the museum in May 2009 that I am invited (or not ), I will know some other guys by rumour, and at the event itself there will be a very spontaneous "who of you can take part at the battle"-hustle. I think this very late to tell people they need blunt weapons, or wood weapons, or leather-tipped spears, if they want to take part in the main hour.

That's all. Years ago I dreamt of a good show. Now I know that there will be the same - nice - procedure as every year, maybe bigger, but no cooperative preparation. C'est tout. It might be so easy to send an email around telling everybody that there are some fighting rules, no headshots thingy etc, some battle weapon standards, thus everbody knows what is considered safe and feasible.

Sorry if I spoke so unclear! 2007 there were several groups, not only three or four - I remember the Romans from Bitburg, the Leg. I. Italica, the Vex. Leg. XI c.p.f, the Timetrotters,some roman merchants and all, and officially it was at least 6 Germanic groups - and 2009 there will be most probably more.

The pan-Germanic try to form a union called Comitatus, well, we do not try to make up one big group, but to communicate some standards among each other, like safe battle weapons and how to fight Romans in a way that makes them want to play with us again. But it is not ONE group, and never will be. Were quite different, you know.

Finally, 2009 may be a nice event, and a big one, too. It is my personal problem that I have dreamt of a great show and was willing to take my share in the preparations. You do not have to cry with me nor comfort my grief :wink: The date is fixed, if you are interested, then just write a letter to the Kalkriese Museum, tell what you do and what you need. Same procedure as every year, right. If the finally send you an answer and invite you, do me one little favour: please, bring wooden gladii and some substitutes for iron pila, may be we play together.

Robert is surely right that late Romans don't fit in the year 09 reenactment, but I am sure that the Kalkriese organizers do not care about 1st. or 2nd. century. Hamata and segmentata will both be welcome, I'm sure. A seggy was found at Kalkriese, a tleast. But 3rd, 4th. or later of course do not fit in the picture. I am a man of early 5th., actually, and had to re-dress for the Varus thing, too. Sword, shield, clothes.

Cheers,

roumorspreading Ulfwin

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - Andreas Gobinius - 10-27-2007

Well,
Thanks for the explanation Ulfwin Smile That seems we should try to get an invitation from the museum individually. But after that RAT could be the place to discuss on the subject like the way of the battle or other presentations...
Then my proposal is that everyone interested will try to "make an reservation" at the museum and after that report here Smile if the museum does not want to display invited groups on its website.

Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 03-04-2008

Any news on that event?