RomanArmyTalk
Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries (/showthread.php?tid=21159)

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Eleatic Guest - 04-03-2015

A little game. Name your favourite three to five archaeological discoveries from the Greco-Roman world or the European Bronze and Iron Age respectively of recent years:

Mine:
- The Amphipolis Tomb
- The Egadi Naval Rams
- The Hierapolis Sawmill
- The Xanten Torsion Catapult (PDF)
- Nebra Sky Disk

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-03-2015

Why not make this a game like the name that place? You have to guess the archaeological site based on an initial hint and photo?

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Alexand96 - 04-08-2015

That's a pretty cool list EC, but I'm afraid to say that I'm not even really aware of any other recent discoveries/publications.

The only thing I can vaguely remember is that graveyard excavated somewhere in Greece (I'd have to go looking for the name), yet unpublished, where they've supposedly found many examples of the famous T-and-Y cuirass. Anyone remember which excavation I'm recalling? I think it was on an island in Greece....I'll have to go looking through one of those God-awful "leather vs. metal" threads again to find it Big Grin

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - rocktupac - 04-08-2015

Quote:The only thing I can vaguely remember is that graveyard excavated somewhere in Greece (I'd have to go looking for the name), yet unpublished, where they've supposedly found many examples of the famous T-and-Y cuirass. Anyone remember which excavation I'm recalling? I think it was on an island in Greece....I'll have to go looking through one of those God-awful "leather vs. metal" threads again to find it Big Grin

If you could find where that dig site was and any info on it, I would love to hear about it!

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Vindex - 04-09-2015

Chaps

Check out the Past Horizons web site. It will keep you up to date with most excavations and certainly the high profile ones.

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/

And this was found yesterday at Vindolanda (you'll have to forgive the huge scrape on the corner - I think it was found by one of the volunteers!):

[attachment=12181]11150410_809417819139362_8054878276449250928_n.jpg[/attachment]

(There's a small hare in the top left just in case you don't spot it)

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Alexand96 - 04-10-2015

Quote:
Alexand96 post=367012 Wrote:The only thing I can vaguely remember is that graveyard excavated somewhere in Greece (I'd have to go looking for the name), yet unpublished, where they've supposedly found many examples of the famous T-and-Y cuirass. Anyone remember which excavation I'm recalling? I think it was on an island in Greece....I'll have to go looking through one of those God-awful "leather vs. metal" threads again to find it Big Grin

If you could find where that dig site was and any info on it, I would love to hear about it!

Ok, so after great effort of reading through many useless posts, I found the reference, and it's not a Greek island.
The excavations are taking place at Archontiko, which is either close or directly related to the Macedonian capital at Pella. I've googled the name a couple of times, and all I can find are a couple of non-official looking reports posted on blogs, and the obligatory flame wars in the comments about whether the Macedonians really are Greek, Slav, extraterrestrial, etc. :-D

Hope someone can find something solid - if the initial reports are true, there are supposedly hundreds of Macedonian warriors discovered in full array of battle kit, etc.

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - davidscott - 04-12-2015

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite4_1_10/01/2011_372433

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - rocktupac - 04-12-2015

Thank you both, Alexand96 and David! Hopefully more reports come out soon!

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Alexand96 - 04-12-2015

Sure thing, and thanks David for going the actual distance and finding a relevant report about the dig. Let's hope the findings are made public and don't disappoint!!

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Eleatic Guest - 04-30-2015

Forgot to list one the most exciting ongoing projects, that of solving the riddle of the Antikythera Mechanism.

- The mechanism explained in three minutes of animation: Virtual Reconstruction of the Antikythera Mechanism
- 1 h documentation well worth watching: The 2000 Year-Old Computer - Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism (2012)

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Alexand96 - 04-30-2015

That's great EC! I'm just re-reading Jo Marchant's 2010 book on the subject....such a fascinating, and IMO, still under-hyped discovery!!

Thanks for the links!

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Eleatic Guest - 04-30-2015

Quote:That's great EC! I'm just re-reading Jo Marchant's 2010 book on the subject....such a fascinating, and IMO, still under-hyped discovery!!

Thanks for the links!

Does she say something about the pin-and-slider mechanism on one of the gears which made it rotate slightly delayed to imitate the elliptical cycle of the moon?

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Timus - 04-30-2015

This is mine:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/science/more-progress-made-toward-learning-contents-of-herculaneum-scrolls.html?_r=0
That'd be pretty darn awesome if we finally could read the "typical" library of a patrician before the Vesuvius eruption of AD 79.

Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries - Alexand96 - 05-01-2015

Quote:
Alexand96 post=367445 Wrote:That's great EC! I'm just re-reading Jo Marchant's 2010 book on the subject....such a fascinating, and IMO, still under-hyped discovery!!

Thanks for the links!

Does she say something about the pin-and-slider mechanism on one of the gears which made it rotate slightly delayed to imitate the elliptical cycle of the moon?

Indeed, she does.