Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Recent Archaeological Discoveries
A little game. Name your favourite three to five archaeological discoveries from the Greco-Roman world or the European Bronze and Iron Age respectively of recent years:

Mine:
- The Amphipolis Tomb
- The Egadi Naval Rams
- The Hierapolis Sawmill
- The Xanten Torsion Catapult (PDF)
- Nebra Sky Disk
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Why not make this a game like the name that place? You have to guess the archaeological site based on an initial hint and photo?
That's a pretty cool list EC, but I'm afraid to say that I'm not even really aware of any other recent discoveries/publications.

The only thing I can vaguely remember is that graveyard excavated somewhere in Greece (I'd have to go looking for the name), yet unpublished, where they've supposedly found many examples of the famous T-and-Y cuirass. Anyone remember which excavation I'm recalling? I think it was on an island in Greece....I'll have to go looking through one of those God-awful "leather vs. metal" threads again to find it Big Grin
Alexander
Quote:The only thing I can vaguely remember is that graveyard excavated somewhere in Greece (I'd have to go looking for the name), yet unpublished, where they've supposedly found many examples of the famous T-and-Y cuirass. Anyone remember which excavation I'm recalling? I think it was on an island in Greece....I'll have to go looking through one of those God-awful "leather vs. metal" threads again to find it Big Grin

If you could find where that dig site was and any info on it, I would love to hear about it!
Scott B.
Chaps

Check out the Past Horizons web site. It will keep you up to date with most excavations and certainly the high profile ones.

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/

And this was found yesterday at Vindolanda (you'll have to forgive the huge scrape on the corner - I think it was found by one of the volunteers!):

[attachment=12181]11150410_809417819139362_8054878276449250928_n.jpg[/attachment]

(There's a small hare in the top left just in case you don't spot it)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:
Alexand96 post=367012 Wrote:The only thing I can vaguely remember is that graveyard excavated somewhere in Greece (I'd have to go looking for the name), yet unpublished, where they've supposedly found many examples of the famous T-and-Y cuirass. Anyone remember which excavation I'm recalling? I think it was on an island in Greece....I'll have to go looking through one of those God-awful "leather vs. metal" threads again to find it Big Grin

If you could find where that dig site was and any info on it, I would love to hear about it!

Ok, so after great effort of reading through many useless posts, I found the reference, and it's not a Greek island.
The excavations are taking place at Archontiko, which is either close or directly related to the Macedonian capital at Pella. I've googled the name a couple of times, and all I can find are a couple of non-official looking reports posted on blogs, and the obligatory flame wars in the comments about whether the Macedonians really are Greek, Slav, extraterrestrial, etc. :-D

Hope someone can find something solid - if the initial reports are true, there are supposedly hundreds of Macedonian warriors discovered in full array of battle kit, etc.
Alexander
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_art...011_372433
Davidus
Thank you both, Alexand96 and David! Hopefully more reports come out soon!
Scott B.
Sure thing, and thanks David for going the actual distance and finding a relevant report about the dig. Let's hope the findings are made public and don't disappoint!!
Alexander
Forgot to list one the most exciting ongoing projects, that of solving the riddle of the Antikythera Mechanism.

- The mechanism explained in three minutes of animation: Virtual Reconstruction of the Antikythera Mechanism
- 1 h documentation well worth watching: The 2000 Year-Old Computer - Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism (2012)
That's great EC! I'm just re-reading Jo Marchant's 2010 book on the subject....such a fascinating, and IMO, still under-hyped discovery!!

Thanks for the links!
Alexander
Quote:That's great EC! I'm just re-reading Jo Marchant's 2010 book on the subject....such a fascinating, and IMO, still under-hyped discovery!!

Thanks for the links!

Does she say something about the pin-and-slider mechanism on one of the gears which made it rotate slightly delayed to imitate the elliptical cycle of the moon?
This is mine:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/scienc....html?_r=0
That'd be pretty darn awesome if we finally could read the "typical" library of a patrician before the Vesuvius eruption of AD 79.
Timothee.
Quote:
Alexand96 post=367445 Wrote:That's great EC! I'm just re-reading Jo Marchant's 2010 book on the subject....such a fascinating, and IMO, still under-hyped discovery!!

Thanks for the links!

Does she say something about the pin-and-slider mechanism on one of the gears which made it rotate slightly delayed to imitate the elliptical cycle of the moon?

Indeed, she does.
Alexander

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your Five Archaeological Discoveries of the Decade Eleatic Guest 1 687 04-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries