RomanArmyTalk
Name that emperor - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Name that emperor (/showthread.php?tid=15480)

Pages: 1 2

Name that emperor - Jona Lendering - 07-17-2009

The photo below was made in the museum of Carthage. But who is this guy? He has a crown of a type common in the early second century (compare this Trajan), and at first sight, I'd say this is Hadrian. But Hadrian's head was rounder; this man has a "long" head. Besides, his beard has two points (like Septimius Severus). But the man does not resemble the African emperor either. Anyone any thoughts?

Re: Name that emperor - Robert Vermaat - 07-17-2009

Quote:But Hadrian's head was rounder; this man has a "long" head.
Were all statues of emperor's lifelike? What if the artist was asked to make omne for an upcoming visit, but had never seen the man before?

Re: Name that emperor - Virilis - 07-17-2009

Based purely on the looks of the statue he looks like Lucius Verus in my opinion...

Re: Name that emperor - Jona Lendering - 07-17-2009

Quote:Were all statues of emperor's lifelike? What if the artist was asked to make omne for an upcoming visit, but had never seen the man before?
The emperors sent moulds and there was serie production. Therefore, portraits made in Eburacum and Aelia Capitolina could be more or less identical. Cf the reconstruction of the sculptor's workshop in Orientalis below, where our friend Jurjen works.
Quote:Based purely on the looks of the statue he looks like Lucius Verus in my opinion...
Slightly forked beard and no moustache: you may be right.

Re: Name that emperor - D B Campbell - 07-17-2009

Quote:Based purely on the looks of the statue he looks like Lucius Verus in my opinion...
Just tuned in ... and my immediate reaction was Lucius Verus, too. Smile

Quote:my immediate reaction was Lucius Verus, too. Smile
That's indeed reassuring. If two people immediately think of the same name, it must be correct.

Re: Name that emperor - PhilusEstilius - 07-17-2009

I have just come in on this topic but would say that I don't think it is Verus for he has a much more rounded beard and not realy forked.

Re: Name that emperor - Graham Sumner - 07-17-2009

Hi

My initial reaction was that it was Lucius Verus too. However looking at a photograph of a bust of Severus that I have, I am not so sure now. The face and beard look similar although the hairstyle is not the same. Given the African context perhaps Severus is the slightly better bet....perhaps....possibly!

Graham.

Lucius Verus - Severus 2 : 1

Anyone else?

Re: Name that emperor - Justin of the New Yorkii - 07-17-2009

It has to be Lucius Verus. Spittin' image:
[Image: lucius_verus.jpg]

Quote:It has to be Lucius Verus. Spittin' image:
[Image: lucius_verus.jpg]
Strange, I've seen that face before... My own photo! The beard is indeed a bit forked, and both men have no moustache.

3 : 1

Re: Name that emperor - Graham Sumner - 07-17-2009

Hi

Well if you Google Lucius Verus, a full length figure very similar to the top picture comes up in the Bardo Museum. Does that settle it? (Page 3 Google Images).

Mind you page 4 has Stephen Boyd!!!

Graham.

P.S Again on page 3 under Livius.org is a portrait labelled 'Lucius Verus'. I have the same portrait in a book that says it is Marcus Aurelius! Is it the ancient portrait artists who confuse these things or modern commentators?

Quote:Well if you Google Lucius Verus, a full length figure very similar to the top picture comes up in the Bardo Museum. Does that settle it? (Page 3 Google Images).
That's our guy, even though he has mysteriously grown a body. Probably, the head doesn't belong to the torso.
Quote:P.S Again on page 3 under Livius.org is a portrait labelled 'Lucius Verus'. I have the same portrait in a book that says it is Marcus Aurelius! Is it the ancient portrait artists who confuse these things or modern commentators?
It's an error by Google. It refers to a page that contains photos of several emperors, including both divi fratres.

Re: Name that emperor - D B Campbell - 07-17-2009

Quote:... even though he has mysteriously grown a body. Probably, the head doesn't belong to the torso.
I think you are right. It's a different colour and slightly too large! Big Grin

Re: Name that emperor - Arminius Primus - 07-20-2009

Ave Fratres,

Have to concur with the folks that say Lucius Verus. For facial recognition we were always taught to concentrate on the T factor. Imagine a Capital T placed over a face. It covers the most salient points for ID, Eye spacing and size and color, size and shape of the nose, shape of the mouth and lips and the chin, prominent or receding. I think when you do a T factor analysis it points , as already noted, to Lucius Verus.

That procedure also helps you to remember a face, but for me that is not a problem...anymore I can't remember the names ! Big Grin

Regards from a sunny a breezy beautiful day in the Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al