RomanArmyTalk
Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth (/showthread.php?tid=10006)

Pages: 1 2

Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - mcbishop - 07-25-2007

Here's a little something to celebrate the fact that Google Earth has updated its coverage of northern England:

http://perlineamvalli.org.uk

Let me know if you experience any glitches etc.

Enjoy...

Mike Bishop

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - D B Campbell - 07-25-2007

Quote:Here's a little something ...
Beautiful web site, Mike. Congrats.
(Haven't played with your Google file, yet.)

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Luca - 07-26-2007

WOW!
Absolutely great stuff. Let's start to do the same for the other romain remainings.... Smile

100 laudes for you!

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Robert Vermaat - 07-27-2007

bril-li-ant stuff....

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - mcbishop - 07-29-2007

Quote:WOW!
Absolutely great stuff. Let's start to do the same for the other romain remainings.... Smile

Well, if you liked that, you might like this too.

Mike Bishop

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Aetius Helvius Merula - 07-29-2007

Beautiful stuff. Thanks, Mike! Hadrian's Wall was already on my list for when I visit the UK, but it just jumped a few places higher.

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-29-2007

I wish I could move there! Love the area!!! especially Corbridge and Vindolanda!

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Aetius Helvius Merula - 07-30-2007

Sometimes I curse having a big thousands-mile wide ocean, and a similar sized continent, in between me and places I'd love to visit. More accurately, having to work for a living and thus not having time. Oh well, when I'm Imperator, that's going to change....

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Wes - 07-31-2007

When you become Imperator...I volunteer to be your traveling underling!! Big Grin

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-31-2007

Quote:Sometimes I curse having a big thousands-mile wide ocean, and a similar sized continent, in between me and places I'd love to visit. More accurately, having to work for a living and thus not having time. Oh well, when I'm Imperator, that's going to change....

Hell, I only have a couple of hundred miles between me and many things i would like to see, and my job usually stops that!

Hopefully this will change now I have a 'GOOD' job!

To Mike, I have a problem with the links, as even though I have downloaded and installed Google earth, every time I try the link, it just takes me back to the googleearth download page!

Any ideas people?

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - mcbishop - 08-03-2007

Quote:To Mike, I have a problem with the links, as even though I have downloaded and installed Google earth, every time I try the link, it just takes me back to the googleearth download page!

Any ideas people?

You are selecting the link that reads 'Download plv-04.kmz now (90Kb)' aren't you?

Mike Bishop

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-04-2007

Quote:When you become Imperator...I volunteer to be your traveling underling!! Big Grin

Sure thing, Wes! You'll need a backpack twice your size, and 2 halves of a hollow coconut. European Swallow is optional. Pay is 50 secertes a day, benefits after 30 days.

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - mcbishop - 10-28-2007

Quote:Here's a little something to celebrate the fact that Google Earth has updated its coverage of northern England:

http://perlineamvalli.org.uk

Per Lineam Valli now includes the Cumbrian Coastal System and Temporary Camps along the line of the Wall and, as of this weekend, has links to the same information on the Microsoft Virtual Earth (aka maps.live.com) system (which, ironically, was where this whole thing began last Christmas) but which is still hampered by the 200-item limit on any collection, so requires different categories for each element of the Wall; I also have problems getting Virtual Earth to work in 3D on my laptop - it keeps crashing it, whereas Google Earth works as sweet as a nut).

Anyway, for what it's worth, it's there for your delight and delectation.

Mike Bishop

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - Tarbicus - 10-28-2007

Quote:
mcbishop:1838zwtj Wrote:I also have problems getting Virtual Earth to work in 3D on my laptop - it keeps crashing it, whereas Google Earth works as sweet as a nut).
Mike, are your graphics card drivers up to date? That's usually the initial culprit, or they may be corrupted and need re-installing (a ball-ache).

Re: Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth - mcbishop - 11-02-2007

Quote:Mike, are your graphics card drivers up to date? That's usually the initial culprit, or they may be corrupted and need re-installing (a ball-ache).

Yup, and I also tried turning it off and turning it back on again (afficionados of The IT Crowd will get that one ;-).

The Per Lineam Valli file has made it into Google Earth Gallery, now that they allow you to submit your own sites.

Mike Bishop