Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Earth
Here's a little something to celebrate the fact that Google Earth has updated its coverage of northern England:

http://perlineamvalli.org.uk

Let me know if you experience any glitches etc.

Enjoy...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Here's a little something ...
Beautiful web site, Mike. Congrats.
(Haven't played with your Google file, yet.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
WOW!
Absolutely great stuff. Let's start to do the same for the other romain remainings.... Smile

100 laudes for you!
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
bril-li-ant stuff....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:WOW!
Absolutely great stuff. Let's start to do the same for the other romain remainings.... Smile

Well, if you liked that, you might like this too.

Mike Bishop

Beautiful stuff. Thanks, Mike! Hadrian's Wall was already on my list for when I visit the UK, but it just jumped a few places higher.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
I wish I could move there! Love the area!!! especially Corbridge and Vindolanda!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sometimes I curse having a big thousands-mile wide ocean, and a similar sized continent, in between me and places I'd love to visit. More accurately, having to work for a living and thus not having time. Oh well, when I'm Imperator, that's going to change....
When you become Imperator...I volunteer to be your traveling underling!! Big Grin
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Quote:Sometimes I curse having a big thousands-mile wide ocean, and a similar sized continent, in between me and places I'd love to visit. More accurately, having to work for a living and thus not having time. Oh well, when I'm Imperator, that's going to change....

Hell, I only have a couple of hundred miles between me and many things i would like to see, and my job usually stops that!

Hopefully this will change now I have a 'GOOD' job!

To Mike, I have a problem with the links, as even though I have downloaded and installed Google earth, every time I try the link, it just takes me back to the googleearth download page!

Any ideas people?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:To Mike, I have a problem with the links, as even though I have downloaded and installed Google earth, every time I try the link, it just takes me back to the googleearth download page!

Any ideas people?

You are selecting the link that reads 'Download plv-04.kmz now (90Kb)' aren't you?

Mike Bishop

Quote:When you become Imperator...I volunteer to be your traveling underling!! Big Grin

Sure thing, Wes! You'll need a backpack twice your size, and 2 halves of a hollow coconut. European Swallow is optional. Pay is 50 secertes a day, benefits after 30 days.
Quote:Here's a little something to celebrate the fact that Google Earth has updated its coverage of northern England:

http://perlineamvalli.org.uk

Per Lineam Valli now includes the Cumbrian Coastal System and Temporary Camps along the line of the Wall and, as of this weekend, has links to the same information on the Microsoft Virtual Earth (aka maps.live.com) system (which, ironically, was where this whole thing began last Christmas) but which is still hampered by the 200-item limit on any collection, so requires different categories for each element of the Wall; I also have problems getting Virtual Earth to work in 3D on my laptop - it keeps crashing it, whereas Google Earth works as sweet as a nut).

Anyway, for what it's worth, it's there for your delight and delectation.

Mike Bishop

Quote:
mcbishop:1838zwtj Wrote:I also have problems getting Virtual Earth to work in 3D on my laptop - it keeps crashing it, whereas Google Earth works as sweet as a nut).
Mike, are your graphics card drivers up to date? That's usually the initial culprit, or they may be corrupted and need re-installing (a ball-ache).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Mike, are your graphics card drivers up to date? That's usually the initial culprit, or they may be corrupted and need re-installing (a ball-ache).

Yup, and I also tried turning it off and turning it back on again (afficionados of The IT Crowd will get that one ;-).

The Per Lineam Valli file has made it into Google Earth Gallery, now that they allow you to submit your own sites.

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,310 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,185 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,575 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo