RomanArmyTalk
Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! (/showthread.php?tid=10082)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - gaiusseptimiuslucianus - 08-16-2007

Hi Folks,

Theo, great impression! It's refreshing to see a rather less explored period done well.
Tarbicus, thanks for posting the link to that discussion from last year, I had missed it somehow.

This is a subject that I have been curious about myself recently. I'm interested in the late 3rd-early 4th century and had pretty much assumed that mail and scale were the only options, I can see that more study is on order for me. :wink:

Lucianus

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-05-2007

so, a neidermormter with a long sleeved mail shirt and a spatha! A pugio, or no pugio, boots? Wide belt thin belt baldric no baldric?

To bad hans binsfeld doesn't answer queries, he seems to have decent gear, but maybe not?

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-06-2007

I have found a sword I believe! And were ring pommel swords not 3rd century? I hope Patrik does not mind me posting a picture of his work, but I have found my soul mate! Love at first sight!

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Hugh Fuller - 09-07-2007

Quote:Yup, a ring-pommel sword is what you´d want. Smile
Have you any idea who might make one of these other than Patrick Barta at TEMPL? While his work is top-notch, his version is rather too luxurious for most, what with gold inlays and all. It sells for 2,800 EUROs, some $3,856 US at current rates.
http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-an ... mmel_sword

A possible answer might be ArmArt at 25,500 CZK ($1,264 US), but I have read too many bad things about them on the various fora.

Quote:I have found a sword I believe! And were ring pommel swords not 3rd century? I hope Patrik does not mind me posting a picture of his work, but I have found my soul mate! Love at first sight!
I have Patrick's #102 Roman Riding Sword that I use for my Age of Migrations living history characters and it is an absolutely superb piece. I was so impressed with it that I am now 10 months into a 30 month wait on his #118 Abingdon Anglo-Saxon Sword, although he just posted a new one that I might substitute, his #128 Gilling-West Sword. That is one stunning sword!

I will check Bishop & Coulston this evening and try to post on when the Romans used the ring pommels. Since they got the idea from the Sarmatians, I suspect that it would be after Marcus Aurelius' wars with them.

Quote:This is probably more Severan than Antonine, but ....

Front, and Rear

I call it my Mid-Roman impression.

~Theo
For some reason, I cannot get your pistures to come up on my machine.

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-07-2007

I think the one I like is his 101.

Not too bad a price, but I am tempted by Repliks alan spatha too, altho more pricey Confusedhock: but nice 8)

The ring sword is pretty bling, but like you say, way steep on sesterces and denari

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - brennivs - tony drake - 09-07-2007

3rd Century ring pommels for the cavalry were on the way out by this time ,but the ring pommel continued in a Gladivs form into the 3rd AD .Gaivs the 101 is a good example of a sword of that period.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-07-2007

I think it is too late for me if it is 3rd century anyway....Marcus aurelius 180ad....... :? lol:

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Robert Vermaat - 09-08-2007

Quote:I call it my Mid-Roman impression.

Stunning Jaime! A laudes!

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-08-2007

Just need to wait on his response..... :roll:

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-09-2007

Received a response from Ira, and Patrick! Big Grin

Hope to hear more soon...then will need to make decisions.... :lol: 8) Big Grin

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Ioannes Vandalicus - 09-30-2007

greetings all
I´m thinking about marcus aurelius legionary impression. I have few questions, first - what type of belt would be more apropriate?
relatively thin belt with "letters" decoration? (that "Utere felix") or "ring belt" like these shown in osprey "WAR 072 - Imperial Roman Legionary AD161-284"?

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-21-2007

Well, I have the first piece of my impression, the brass neidermormter, intact at last.... :lol:

@ Ioannes : I have heard the Utere Felix belt is a viable option for that period Ioannes!
(Also better put your real name in your signature, be for the moderators get you!!)

Are you a member of a group? Keep me posted as to how you get on! Big Grin

Re: Marcus Aurelian Legionary! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-24-2007

Hmmmm, I think I have my greaves....can't wait until they are available Big Grin D D 8)