Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Aurelian Legionary!
What type of sword would be in use at this time? A semi-spatha, still the pompey type, or would a variety be in use then?

Forgive me if this was raised before!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'd go for a Lauriacum-Hromovka spatha. Deepeeka's new 3rd century spatha (with the two fullers in the blade) would be rather ok, although I don't know when those round disc chapes popped up. Maybe you could try to get another scabbard? Smile
(just a suggestion)

Oh, I forgot - a ring pommel sword would be even better!
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Yup, a ring-pommel sword is what you´d want. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
This is probably more Severan than Antonine, but ....

Front, and Rear

I call it my Mid-Roman impression.

~Theo
Jaime
Wow, now there is a classy looking Roman Big Grin Good work, hombre!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks guys! Big Grin Great looking impression Theo'!

I thought that was what the sword might be, although perhaps with the next spathas scabbard on ARMAE!?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Wow, now there is a classy looking Roman Good work, hombre!

Thanks, Robert. Coming from a fellow Mid-Roman that means a lot to me Smile shock: :wink:

Quote:I don't know when those round disc chapes popped up.

According to Bishop & Coulston the circular chape seems to be 3rd century. It's the most common depiction on gravestones and it also appears in a 3rd century Palmyran mosaic.

Quote:Great looking impression Theo'!

I thought that was what the sword might be, although perhaps with the next spathas scabbard on ARMAE!?

Thanks for saying so Smile I would think the round chape is alright for the 190s AD. One was found at Neiderbieber and was iron.

~Theo
Jaime
Superlative impression, frater. It was a privelege to watch you debut it at Fort Mac. Laudes!

Question: Does the enormous neckguard of the Guttmann Italic H ever bang against, or get hung up in, the plates of your Newstead? I've often wondered if it must have been worn with mail or scale, or whether a lorica seg would have been OK.

P.S.

Did I mention that a new, affordable version of the beautiful Newstead cuirass he's wearing will soon be available through Imperium Ancient Armories?
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:Question: Does the enormous neckguard of the Guttmann Italic H ever bang against, or get hung up in, the plates of your Newstead? I've often wondered if it must have been worn with mail or scale, or whether a lorica seg would have been OK.
All versions of the M&L have an occipital that's too low, including the new Deepeeka, unfortunately. Don't base any such theories on the Deepeeka helms.

Travis, your impression looks fantastic. Go on, paint the spear shaft!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Question: Does the enormous neckguard of the Guttmann Italic H ever bang against, or get hung up in, the plates of your Newstead? I've often wondered if it must have been worn with mail or scale, or whether a lorica seg would have been OK.

Ave Centurio,

Yes, the neck guard does bang against my shoulder plates whenever I try to raise my head even by the slightest inch :lol: But, no, I've never gotten it caught between the plates. I suppose it could happen though.

You can see me in this photo trying to raise my head to no avail :oops: You can see more of my shield too.

Thank you for the laudes. Smile

Quote:All versions of the M&L have an occipital that's too low, including the new Deepeeka, unfortunately.

That is a pity. I wonder how much it's off by. Flavius has handled the original piece.

Quote:Travis, your impression looks fantastic. Go on, paint the spear shaft!

mmm....me ? I'm Theo but I'm flattered nonetheless :wink: Hmm...I've seen others paint theirs but I honestly don't know which color seems appropriate / accurate. It's already protected by some coating so I wouldn't need to paint it. It might be nice to see though. Let me think on it. Smile

Thanks for the compliment, Tarbicus.

~Theo
Jaime
There is something from Dura which might be a spear shaft, it has alternating long red and blue fields, which are seperated by black lines.
Looks like this:
[Image: DSC02084.jpg]
Christian K.

Quote:mmm....me ? I'm Theo but I'm flattered nonetheless :wink:
Theo, sorry! Typing in haste :oops: :roll:

Here's a thread on the subject of painted spear shafts:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=8960

[Image: t_guarding_the_gates__walhallafeb19th06__25__212.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Saturinus et Tarbicus,

Thanks for all the information on the painted spear shafts. I'll start reading up on it.

Ah yes, that's Flavius Promotius from the last photo. Apparently his avatar is an older photo since his spear is unpainted. He's the first and only other Mid-Roman I've seen who wears a Niedermorter with a Newstead Big Grin My favorite combination.

~Theo
Jaime
It in fact looks great. Big Grin However it is quite good that it is rarely seen, since the archaeological evidnce from the Raetian limes suggests that they were not used here in such large numbers, at that time scale and mail seems to have been far more popular.
Christian K.

Theo, great view!
Where's that baldric disc with the eagle coming from? Looks a little like a modern item, but it fits well into the general impression! Big Grin

Quote:I've never gotten it caught between the plates. I suppose it could happen though.

Oh, mighty Theodosius! It CAN happen - I know :lol:

Niedermoermter + Newstead: several of the guys in our group (LEG III ITAL ANT) wear this combination, too.
The centurion of the Populares Vindelicenses wears a Niedermoermter together with a Robinson style Newstead. Also a nice sight Smile

Painted lance shaft - a red spiral around the shaft would also be ok (there are images from the Notitia Dignitatum). Using adhesive tape for this saves you a lot of time (but use tape which can be removed very easily!).
Florian Himmler (not related!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Roman Legionary of the reign of Marcus Aurelius PALongimanus 5 4,751 06-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS