Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
Bill added Delphinus and Dorado to Allen's Star Names. The last-mentioned is not a "classical" constellation, but who cares.

Undoubtedly classical is another contribution that many RATs will appreciate: Book 27 of Ammianus Marcellinus. Fights against the Alamans, one of Valens' wars against the Goths, the ascession of Gratian and Valentinian II, Theodosius (father of the emperor) fighting against the Picts and Scoti, a Moorish invasion of Africa, Valens' war against the Isaurians, more fighting against the Alamans, war in Armenia... Something tells me you're all gonna like it.

Meanwhile, I've finished my project of the Letters of Synesius , and have put online his Hymns as well. The interesting parts for RATs are Ep.133, in which he describes the preparations for a siege, and Ep.94, which is hard to summarize.

It's a strange idea to have copied one man's complete correspondence; it feels as if I know good Synesius very well. He has a tendency for self-pity, but after losing three children, seeing one's home destroyed by enemies, and losing one's home town, he's entitled to that. It tells a lot about war, I think, that a man who is so happy and full of optimism in the 390's, can be so pessimistic in c.410.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Jona Lendering - 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM